• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Newcastle remove player from Champions League squad on eve of Qarabag tie

Home> Football> Football News> Newcastle United

Published 09:13 17 Feb 2026 GMT

Newcastle remove player from Champions League squad on eve of Qarabag tie

Eddie Howe's side will take on Qarabag in Azerbaijan on Wednesday night.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Newcastle United have made a late change to their squad list for the Champions League knockout stages.

Eddie Howe's side will travel to the Azersun Arena in Azerbaijan on Wednesday night, where they will come up against Qarabag in the first leg of their crucial Champions League knockout phase play-off.

The Magpies are attempting to qualify for the round of 16 for the first time since 2002-03.

It has been a difficult period for the club in regards to injuries, with Joelinton, Lewis Miley and Sven Botman being fitness concerns ahead of Newcastle's midweek trip to Qarabag.

Advert

Earlier this month, Eddie Howe also confirmed that defender Emil Krafth is "not close" to a return, three months after suffering a knee injury in a World Cup qualifier for Sweden against Slovenia.

Emil Krafth (left) has struggled for first-team minutes this season. Image credit:
Emil Krafth (left) has struggled for first-team minutes this season. Image credit:

Krafth, who is out of contract at the end of the season, has been plagued by injuries in recent years. The former Bologna full-back, 31, was ruled out for 14 months with an ACL injury between 2022 and 2023.

With the Swede once again on the sidelines, it was confirmed this week that Krafth has been removed from Newcastle's squad list for the Champions League knockout stages.

He has been replaced by 39-year-old John Ruddy, who gives Howe more options in the goalkeeping department alongside Aaron Ramsdale and Nick Pope.

Krafth has made just three appearances at club level this season.

Krafth has been removed from Newcastle's Champions League squad. Image credit: Getty
Krafth has been removed from Newcastle's Champions League squad. Image credit: Getty

Speaking ahead of their clash against Qarabag, Eddie Howe gave an update on Bruno Guimaraes, who is expected to be out for around two months after picking up a hamstring injury.

"I don’t think there is any miracle cure for him," said Howe. “I think it will be a couple of months [that he will miss]. Probably looking at the end of the international break in March for him."

"That is a blow for us," added Howe. "It is a key stage in the season for us. He is devastated but it is what it is."

The Newcastle boss was also asked about Yoane Wissa and Sven Botman.

“Yoane picked up a knock in training on Friday. We don’t think it is serious but he may miss a couple of games," said Howe.

“Sven’s feeling is back from the game against Spurs. We don’t think it is a serious injury and we certainly hope he won’t be out for any period of time. It was the right decision not to let him travel (for the Aston Villa game).”

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

Topics: Newcastle United, Champions League, Eddie Howe

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
11 hours ago
14 hours ago
15 hours ago
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Footage of stadium due to host World Cup opener sparks fears it won't be ready

    The 2026 World Cup will kick off in June across the USA, Mexico and Canada.

    Football
  • TNT Sports
    11 hours ago

    John Rooney reveals what Keith Andrews told his players after FA Cup heartbreak

    Macclesfield FC were beaten by Brentford in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

    Football
  • Getty
    14 hours ago

    Man Utd planning move for Liverpool star in first transfer between clubs since 1964

    One player could make a controversial move from Liverpool to Manchester United.

    Football
  • Getty
    15 hours ago

    FA Cup 5th round draw in full as Liverpool, Arsenal and Man City learn opponents

    The draw for the fifth round of the FA Cup has been made.

    Football
  • Newcastle ‘Make Decision’ On Eddie Howe Sacking After Carabao Cup Defeat
  • Chelsea Axe Player From Champions League Squad on Eve of Bayern Clash
  • Champions League Draw Simulator: Real Madrid Get Nightmare Tie, Newcastle Learn Fate
  • Odds Slashed on Premier League Boss to Replace Eddie Howe at Newcastle United