
Chelsea have been offered the chance to sign a star heavily linked with both Manchester United and Arsenal ahead of the Premier League opener next weekend, reports claim.
Chelsea kick off the campaign with a derby fixture against West London rivals Fulham and will do so with plenty of new names after a total of 11 new additions were brought in by Xabi Alonso.
But it appears as though their transfer business is not yet complete. According to reports in Italy, the Blues have been offered Portugal and AC Milan winger Rafael Leao.
Leao has been one of the top-performing wide players in Europe for a number of seasons now, amassing nearly 300 appearances for Milan and hitting double figures when it comes to goals in his last five seasons.
Advert
He has regularly been tipped to move on from the Rossoneri and Gazzetta dello Sport say that Leao's representatives have been in touch to let Chelsea know he is available for a move.
It's claimed that Milan, now managed by Ruben Amorim, are looking to sell Leao becase of their financial situation. They offered him to fellow Serie A side Roma, who are not taking them up on their proposal.
That led to contact being made with Chelsea, who could well be in need of a new winger if Pedro Neto moves on. Neto, Leao's compatriot, is said to be valued at around £100 million - with Chelsea open to selling him if the fee is paid.
Leao had interest from both United and Arsenal earlier in the window but the two clubs did not follow up with serious talks. Leao, however, has made it clear that he is interested in the challenge of playing in the Premier League.
"I need a new challenge. I already won two trophies in Italy and have been there for a while," Leao said, as per Metro.
"The league [Serie A] is evolving, but for my style of football, I think the Premier League or La Liga would make more of my talent, as a player.
"If a Premier League opportunity were to come along, I would be very happy. I think that I can put my talent up against the players there, who are of a very high level.
laying in that kind of a league really gets the best out of a player."
Reports say that a deal for Leao, who featured at the World Cup for Portugal, could be done for a reduced fee of £34 million.
He is also being courted by Galatasaray, who had an initial €35 million offer rejected after it was submitted through intermediaries.
Leao could meet with owner Gerry Cardinale later this week after he returns to Italy on Thursday but the 27-year-old is not expected to stay at the San Siro beyond the end of the summer transfer window.
Topics: Chelsea, Xabi Alonso