sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Erik ten Hag refused to let Wout Weghorst take one of the first five penalties in shootout against Brighton
Home>Football
Published 10:41 24 Apr 2023 GMT+1

Erik ten Hag refused to let Wout Weghorst take one of the first five penalties in shootout against Brighton

Wout Weghorst eventually took Manchester United's sixth penalty.

Nasir Jabbar

Nasir Jabbar

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Erik ten Hag stopped Wout Weghorst from taking one of the first five penalties in their shootout victory over Brighton in the FA Cup.

Manchester United saw off Brighton to book their spot in the FA Cup final following a dramatic penalty shootout.

After 120 minutes of action without a goal, the Red Devils beat Brighton 7-6 on penalties to set up a massive showdown against Manchester City on June 3.

Casemiro, Diogo Dalot, Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashford, Marcel Sabitzer all scored the first five, with Weghorst converting his side's sixth before Victor Lindelof secured the victory following Solly March's missed spot-kick.

Advert

But Weghorst wanted to take one of the first five penalties as he revealed that the Man United coaching staff prevented him from taking a penalty earlier in the shootout.

"I wanted to take one, I wanted to take one of the first five," he told reporters after the win at Wembley Stadium. "But the trainer decided this.

"But, yeah, I’m glad I could contribute to today so personally that’s a good feeling."

Asked about the result and his mood, the 30-year-old replied: "It’s great, that was our goal and our goal for today in general.

"It’s really good to be in the final.

"Of course it’s a different tournament, a different trophy [compared to the Europa League] and we’re disappointed from that. We said we wanted to win three trophies, so that was a really big disappointment."

Wout Weghorst puts his penalty away. Image: Alamy
Wout Weghorst puts his penalty away. Image: Alamy

Man United's passage to the FA Cup final comes just days after they were knocked out of the Europa League by Sevilla.

Weghorst refused to be drawn on the defeat to the La Liga club as he targets another trophy this season.

"Today is not about the Europa League. It’s about the FA Cup, and for us to stay in this tournament and have the opportunity to get another trophy," he added. "That’s what we did."

Man United look well-placed to finish in the top-four in the Premier League table and could bag a second piece of silverware following their Carabao Cup success.

Will they complete a domestic cup double? Let us know what you think.

Featured Image Credit: FA Cup

Topics: Wout Weghorst, Manchester United, Football, Erik Ten Hag

Nasir Jabbar
Nasir Jabbar

Nasir Jabbar is a journalist at SPORTbible. He graduated from Bath Spa University with a BA in Media Communications. He's a combat sport aficionado and has contributed to MMA websites AddictedMMA and CagePotato. Nasir has covered some of the biggest fights, while interviewing the likes of Conor McGregor, Anthony Joshua, Tyson Fury and Darren Till. He's also an avid Bristol City fan.

X

@NasJabbar

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

28 mins ago
an hour ago
  • Getty Images
    28 mins ago

    Three uncapped England players will travel with World Cup squad despite not being picked

    Tuchel has named his 26-man squad, but three extra names will travel to North America.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Palmer, Foden, Bellingham and Rogers stats compared and England must put faith in one man

    Thomas Tuchel has only brought two number tens to the World Cup, but did he make the right choice looking at the stats?

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Jordan Henderson stat emerges after being included in England squad and it looks like a typo

    The experienced midfielder has beaten the likes of Adam Wharton and James Garner to the squad without much game time

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Marcus Rashford appears to aim dig at Man Utd after receiving England World Cup call-up

    Rashford is currently on loan at Barcelona from Manchester United.

    Football
  • Missing XI QUIZ: Can you name the Man Utd team that ended Arsenal's Invincibles run?
  • Wout Weghorst performs 'kiss of death' on ball then celebrates Victor Lindelof winner with knee slide
  • Erik ten Hag tells FIVE Man United players to score more goals, but left out Wout Weghorst
  • Casemiro shows his elite mentality by offering to take the first penalty, Man United fans loved it