sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Marcus Rashford fires back after Richard Keys' brutal 'Man Utd are playing with 10 men' jibe
Home>Football
Updated 15:01 20 Feb 2023 GMTPublished 14:56 20 Feb 2023 GMT

Marcus Rashford fires back after Richard Keys' brutal 'Man Utd are playing with 10 men' jibe

Rashford has leapt to the defence of his teammate.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Marcus Rashford has made his opinion about Wout Weghorst clear following criticism of the Manchester United striker from Richard Keys.

Weghorst, 30, has scored just one goal in 10 appearances since joining United on loan from Burnley in the January transfer window.

Despite his lack of goals, Weghorst has been praised for his work-rate and pressing, with the striker also displaying his versatility by playing in an unfamiliar No 10 role at times.

With Weghorst in the team, United have won five of their last seven matches in all competitions are now only five points behind Premier League leaders Arsenal following a 3-0 win over Leicester on Sunday.

Advert

But former Sky Sports presenter Keys has not been impressed by Weghorst's contribution to the team and claims United are "playing with 10 men" when the Netherlands international is in the side.

"You're playing with 10 men most weeks if he's in," Keys said on beIN SPORTS.

"I mean, he doesn't do enough to justify a starting place does he? Come on, let's be honest!"

Keys' latest comments come after he labelled Weghorst a "lump" when United signed the striker in January.

Rashford backs Weghorst to score

Rashford defended Weghorst after the win over Leicester, claiming it is only a matter of time before the Dutchman starts scoring.

"He's doing a massive role. He's playing out of his natural position as well," said Rashford, who scored twice against the Foxes.

"But he's giving 100 per cent and he's there for the chances, that's the main thing.

"They are going to go in at some stage, I have no doubt about it.

"The most important thing for a forward is that you get the chances and then it's up to you to take them.

"I'm sure if we keep creating chances for him, he'll score goals."

Unlike Weghorst, Rashford has had no problem finding the net this season.

His brace against Leicester took him to 24 goals in all competitions from just 36 games.

United next face Barcelona in the second leg of their Europa League play-off at Old Trafford on Thursday, with the tie currently level at 2-2 after the first leg at the Nou Camp.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Manchester United, Football, Premier League, Marcus Rashford, Wout Weghorst

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Final Champions League spot could be decided by play-off as unthinkable scenario unfolds

    This has never happened before, but it's genuinely possible with a game left to play in the Premier League.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Declan Rice has the coldest response to Arsenal’s first Premier League title win in 22 years

    Arsenal are the 2026 Premier League champions and Rice made sure to celebrate.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    'I've studied Pep for a while' - Micah Richards reacts to Pep Guardiola's response to exit rumours

    Richards also said Manchester City's players went against the club's ethos as they surrendered the Premier League title to Arsenal.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola responds to rumours he will leave Manchester City after Premier League title loss

    The Manchester City boss has finally broken his silence on the rumours.

    Football
  • Marcus Rashford breaks his silence after Man Utd brutally hand number 10 shirt to Matheus Cunha
  • 'I am not a magician' - Marcus Rashford breaks silence on Barcelona future after La Liga title win
  • Marcus Rashford could be 'banned' from playing for Barcelona after leaving Man Utd as nightmare scenario emerges
  • Wayne Rooney Hits Back at Marcus Rashford Over Claim About Man Utd