• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Man wrongly identified as Liverpool parade driver makes plea to police as statement released

Home> Football> Football News> Liverpool

Published 12:28 28 May 2025 GMT+1

Man wrongly identified as Liverpool parade driver makes plea to police as statement released

The incident happened at around 6pm on Monday night.

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

A man who has been wrongly identified as the driver of the car that struck Liverpool fans on Monday has made an urgent plea to the police.

On Monday, the city of Liverpool were filled with fans as the club's Premier League title parade took place.

However, towards the end of the parade, at around 6pm, the mood of the city completely changed after it emerged that a serious incident had happened.

On social media, a video showed a car driving down Water Street in the city centre, striking down many supporters.

Advert

It was later confirmed by Merseyside Police that a 53-year-old white British man was arrested.

The incident occurred at around 6pm on Monday evening. Image: Getty
The incident occurred at around 6pm on Monday evening. Image: Getty

On Wednesday, it was reported by the BBC that a man had been wrongly identified on social media as the driver of the car.

As a result, he urged the police to release the name of the suspect who was arrested.

Advert

Speaking to the BBC via FaceTime, Peter Cunningham, 54, from Huyton in Liverpool said: "It's not me.

"I'm in work - the police need to give the name out because I'm getting accused."

He added: "Family members and friends are ringing and asking me, but it could get a whole lot worse, the police need to do something."

Liverpool's title celebrations were marred by the incident on Water Street. Image: Getty
Liverpool's title celebrations were marred by the incident on Water Street. Image: Getty

Advert

Merseyside Police have urged people to refrain from speculating as Police forces usually do not reveal the name of the suspect before they have been charged with an offence.

A spokeswoman said to the BBC: "We have arrested a 53-year-old man from West Derby and he remains in police custody where he continues to be interviewed."

Speaking during the press conference which was held on Monday night, David Kitchin of North West Ambulance Service said: "We can confirm that our teams treated 20 patients at the scene for minor injuries, and these did not need hospital treatment.

"Twenty-seven patients in total were taken to hospital by ambulance, and we believe two of those, including one of the children, have sustained serious injuries."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Liverpool, Premier League, Football

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • GettyGetty
    an hour ago

    Xavi Simons' Premier League move confirmed as 'medical completed' amid Chelsea and Tottenham interest

    The RB Leipzig star is set to move to the Premier League.

    Football
  • Getty Getty
    an hour ago

    Kobbie Mainoo informs Man Utd of his wishes in meeting as club make feelings clear

    Mainoo made his intentions clear at a meeting on Thursday.

    Football
  • GettyGetty
    an hour ago

    Claude Makélélé names the two clubs that can stop Chelsea winning Champions League

    The Champions League winner backed the Premier League side to go far in the competition during an exclusive interview with SPORTbible.

    Football
  • GettyGetty
    2 hours ago

    Roy Keane calls out current England star for ‘diving’ during Premier League matches

    The Manchester United legend wasn't happy with one England player's recent behaviour in the Premier League.

    Football
  • Arrest made after Antoine Semenyo reports racist abuse as Merseyside Police release statement
  • Merseyside Police release new statement with update on man arrested in Liverpool parade incident
  • Man accused of crashing into crowd at Liverpool title parade named as police reveal seven charges
  • Virgin Media issue statement as millions of Sky Sports viewers hit with error during Liverpool vs Bournemouth