
Harry Kane is reportedly being monitored by a Champions League club despite ongoing talks over a new Bayern Munich contract.
Kane is set to begin his fourth season in the Bundesliga and remains one of the side’s key players, having scored 36 goals in just 31 German top-flight games last term as Bayern retained the title.
The 33-year-old England captain is now entering the final 12 months of his contract and is being linked with a potential move should talks fall through.
Several clubs are reportedly keen on recruiting Kane, with Saudi Arabia’s Al-Hilal rumoured to have held talks over making a move for the Englishman in the future.
Advert
However, on Wednesday (August 19), the Daily Mail reported that La Liga giants Barcelona are monitoring Kane’s situation, with the Catalan club making their interest known.
Barcelona are looking to replace Robert Lewandowski in the striker department after the Polish veteran left for Chicago Fire after his contract expired earlier this summer.
If Kane were to join Barca, he would become just the fourth Englishman to represent the club after Gary Lineker, Marcus Rashford and new arrival Anthony Gordon.
Barca also retain interest in Julian Alvarez despite Atletico Madrid making clear that the Argentina international is not for sale this summer.
Kane speaks out on future
Kane, who has now linked up with his Bayern teammates ahead of the Super clash against Borussia Dortmund on Sunday (August 22), addressed his future earlier this week, with the England captain stating that he is “calm” with the situation despite his deal entering its final year.
He told Kicker: “We obviously said we wanted to talk after the World Cup and after my holiday. So I’m not sure exactly when, but they’ll start this week, next week… we’ll start those talks.
“Like I’ve said before, we’re calm, I think they’re calm with the situation.
“Obviously now is the time to start talking, because there’s only a year left. That’s important. But both sides are relaxed, and I’m pretty sure there’ll be some talks this week or next week.”
Kane also discussed his chances of winning the Ballon d’Or for the first time, admitting the accolade “is as big as it gets, from an individual point of view”.
“I know I had a great season last season, but the focus is on this new season,” he added.
“The Ballon d'Or's not in my hands. I've done what I can do in terms of putting in the performances. It's now down to votes and other people and the media - stuff I can't control - so we'll see what happens.
“Obviously, it would be amazing if it was to happen. But ultimately, it's still two or three months away before that's decided, so it's not something that's at the front of my mind right now.”
Bayern get their Bundesliga campaign underway against Stuttgart on August 28.
Topics: Harry Kane, Bayern Munich