sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Cristiano Ronaldo could 'defy' worldwide two-match ban and make his Al-Nassr debut this evening
Home>Football
Updated 12:00 5 Jan 2023 GMTPublished 11:54 5 Jan 2023 GMT

Cristiano Ronaldo could 'defy' worldwide two-match ban and make his Al-Nassr debut this evening

Reports suggest he could ignore the two-match ban and play against in their Saudi Pro League clash against Al-Ta'ee on Thursday.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

He may have received a two-match ban in September but Cristiano Ronaldo could still make his highly-anticipated debut for Al Nassr in their Saudi Pro League clash against Al-Ta'ee on Thursday, according to reports.

Ronaldo was charged with improper conduct by the FA last year after he appeared to slap a boy's phone out of his hand while heading down the tunnel at Old Trafford, following Manchester United's 1-0 defeat to Everton.

Sarah Kelly, the mother of the boy involved, said her 14-year-old son, Jake Harding, had been left "bruised" and "in complete shock" by the incident.

The 37-year-old apologised for the "outburst" and invited the young supporter to watch another game at Old Trafford.

Advert

Ronaldo was later cautioned by police in August and charged with a breach of FA Rule E3. A statement from the FA read: "It is alleged that the forward's conduct after the final whistle was improper and/or violent."

He was handed a ÂŁ50,000 fine and a two-game ban for the incident. But it appears he could 'defy' the Football Association and make his Al-Nassr debut on Thursday, risking further punishment as a result.

The Daily Mail suggest the Saudi club are yet to confirm whether they would adhere to the ban which is backed by FIFA rules.

That being said, Ronaldo's international clearance certificate has been received by Al-Nassr and its executives were 'examining' whether it might help them 'circumnavigate the banning order.'

Cristiano Ronaldo has already trained with the Saudi Pro League club. Image credit: Alamy
Cristiano Ronaldo has already trained with the Saudi Pro League club. Image credit: Alamy

Al-Nassr are said to be 'desperate' for marquee signing Ronaldo to make his debut against Al-Ta'ee on Thursday.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner landed at the King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh on Monday ahead of his medical. He then attended his first press conference for the Saudi Arabian club on Tuesday.

The 37-year-old went on to participate in a number of training drills – and even produced a wonderful finish to send the Mrsool Park crowd wild.

So what will the standard be like in Saudi Arabia's top-flight? Well, in the coming weeks, Ronaldo will be playing in a league that is a worse standard than League One, according to a senior data scientist.

Aurel Nazmiu, who works for Twenty First Group, says that models have identified the Saudi Pro League being “better” than League Two, however.

“Just to put into context the quality of the Saudi League -- our models rate it as worse than League One but better than League Two,” Nazmiu tweeted.

A fan holds up an Al Nassr shirt with Cristiano Ronaldo's name on the back. Image credit: Alamy
A fan holds up an Al Nassr shirt with Cristiano Ronaldo's name on the back. Image credit: Alamy

SPORTbible have reached out to the FA to confirm whether Ronaldo is banned from making his debut for Al Nassr.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Cristiano Ronaldo, Al Nassr, Saudi Pro League, Saudi Arabia

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

4 hours ago
5 hours ago
7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Tottenham captain Cristian Romero will not be in attendance for final game against Everton

    Romero is being heavily criticised for his actions.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Harry Maguire's mum and brother slam Thomas Tuchel decision after England World Cup snub

    Maguire says he is "shocked" and "gutted" by Tuchel's call.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    A list of players who have been left out of England's World Cup squad by the ruthless Thomas Tuchel

    Tuchel is also being criticised for some of his selections.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Phil Foden and Cole Palmer to be left out of England's 26-man World Cup squad alongside three other big names

    Thomas Tuchel has made some big calls.

    Football
  • Cristiano Ronaldo left 'in tears' after unthinkable scenario plays out in Al Nassr game
  • Cristiano Ronaldo's furious actions spotted after Al Nassr lose AFC Champions League Two final
  • Cristiano Ronaldo 'Goes on Strike' And Is 'Refusing to Play For Al Nassr'
  • Cristiano Ronaldo Breaks Silence After 'Refusing to Play' For Al Nassr