To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
Iron Mike makes his in-ring comeback in an exhibition bout with Roy Jones Jr on 28 November. If that goes according to his plan, with Tyson besting Jones, Brazilian coach Rafael Cordeiro has said that he expects more fights to follow.
"He is very happy to do three more fights next year and suddenly fight for great things," said Cordeiro, as per The Sun.
Can't wait for the press conference on 10/29 #TysonJones pic.twitter.com/ptctYKN0Ex
- Mike Tyson (@MikeTyson) October 23, 2020
The 54-year-old boxer looks in tremendous physical condition for his age and the training clips he's posted alongside Cordeiro have shown him smashing the pads with his old vigour. However there's an understandable reluctance among some boxing fans to see Tyson back in the ring so far after his prime, even if the Jones contest is officially an exhibition.
A possible three more fights would be a big ask. But speaking on a YouTube interview in Portuguese, Cordeiro - previously a trainer of ex-UFC heavyweight Wanderlei Silva - was upbeat.
"If he wants to do something in the future, he is going to be ready to do that - 100%," said Cordeiro.
"As soon as we started training I said, 'My Lord.' I didn't know what to expect from a guy who hasn't hit mitts for, I think, almost 10 years... I saw a guy with the same speed, the same power as a guy who is 21, 22 years old.
"You would have to be a good guy to spar with Mike, because if you don't prepare, he is going to drop you for sure, 100%.
"The power is different level. I have trained a lot of heavyweights in my career, with not a lot of respect for everybody, but he is almost as powerful as Wanderlei Silva is right now. When you talk about power, I held his right hook and thought, 'He is going to kill somebody.'"
Cordeiro did not mention any specific names for who Tyson could face in the future. Some have suggested a third fight with old rival Evander Holyfield might grab public attention. Others would clearly rather this November was a one-and-done situation.
The nature of the bout against Jones in California is unique. Unusually for an exhibition, there will be ringside judges and no headgear. But the eight rounds will be just two minutes in duration, rather than the three-minute rounds usually seen in professional boxing.
How Iron Mike looks in that bout may well decide whether Cordeiro's three-fight prediction comes true. If it's a sad spectacle with two ageing fighters wheezing after 90 seconds of mistimed blows, a series of Tyson fights next year will be a hard sell.
But if the 'Baddest Man on the Planet' obliterates Jones with a titanic right hand inside one minute, well: bring on Tyson Fury, Deontay Wilder and Anthony Joshua in 2021. We're just kidding (probably).
Imagery: PA Images/Twitter @MikeTyson