Anthony Joshua's Rematch With Oleksandr Usyk Has A New Planned Date In July
| Last updated
Anthony Joshua's highly-anticipated rematch with Oleksandr Usyk reportedly has a new planned date for this summer.
The fight is now being planned for July 23, according to respected boxing journalist Dan Rafael.
Joshua lost the WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight world titles to Usyk back in September and was expected to face the Ukrainian in a rematch in either April or May.
However, negotiations over the fight were brought to an abrupt halt in February when Russia invaded Ukraine, with Usyk returning home to join his Kyiv’s territorial defence forces.
Usyk has now left Ukraine to prepare for his fight with Joshua at a training camp in neighbouring Poland.
"I decided to start preparing for a rematch with Anthony Joshua," Usyk posted on his Instagram account.
"A large number of my friends support me, all the rest of the good and peace. Thank God for everything."
Rafael's report claims an original fight date of June 25 was initially proposed but this is no longer likely to happen, with the bout now set to take place on July 23.
Saudi Arabia has been identified as a potential host, having previously staged the rematch between Joshua and Andy Ruiz Jr in 2019.
Recent reports have claimed that Saudi Arabia is willing to offer a fee of around $120m (about £91.6 million) to stage the fight.
While an official fight date is still to be confirmed, Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn says “progress” has been made and both parties are “moving forward” with the plans.
Hearn told Everlast via iFL TV: “I can confidently tell you that as of yesterday or the day before we have been told that they want to progress with the fight and move forward.”
Featured Image Credit: PA Images
Topics: Boxing, Heavyweight Boxing, Anthony Joshua, Oleksandr Usyk