sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Paralympic athlete stripped of medal after breaking little-known phone rule at 2024 Games
Home>Other
Published 11:52 4 Sep 2024 GMT+1

Paralympic athlete stripped of medal after breaking little-known phone rule at 2024 Games

The decision has been appealed.

Tom Jenkins

Tom Jenkins

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Italian Paralympic rower Giacomo Perini was disqualified and lost the bronze medal he won in Paris due to breaking a bizarre rule during the event.

The 28-year-old came home to finish in third place for the PR1 men’s single sculls final, which is the classification for those only using their arms and shoulders to row.

However, the Italian athlete's joy was cut short in brutal fashion when it was announced by the World Rowing Committee he had been disqualified in extremely odd circumstances.

A World Rowing statement said: “In the final of the PR1 men’s singles, the Italian athlete was found to be using communications equipment during the race, in violation of rule 28 and Appendix R2, Bye-Law of rule 28."

Advert

While 'rule 28 and Appendix R2, Bye-Law of rule 28' may seem like the most complicated reason for disqualification ever, it is actually quite simple.

Following the race on Sunday it was discovered that Perini had a mobile phone on his boat in a plastic bag, however, the rower has revealed he strongly disagrees with statement and is adamant he didn't break the rules.

Perrini claims he never used the device to communicate and it remained in a plastic bag alongside a bottle of water for the duration of the race.

“They didn’t ‘find’ me simply because I never used the mobile phone on the boat,” Perini explained to ANSA.

Perini- Getty
Perini- Getty

“I gave the phone to the jury so that they could see that the last call was from the night before, with the psychologist.

“The rules do not say that you cannot bring the phone, but that you cannot communicate," he added.

Perini isn't actually wrong, with the rule that World Rowing claims he broke stating: “no communication with the crew is permitted from outside the boat using electric or electronic equipment”.

Despite The Italian Rowing Federation filing an appeal against the decision it was rejected by World Rowing, however, they plan to once again appeal the decision.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Paralympics

Tom Jenkins
Tom Jenkins

Tom Jenkins is a Social Editor and Journalist for SPORTBible. Specialises in Football and F1 but has experience covering a variety of sports such as MMA, Boxing and Cricket. Suffers weekly as an Evertonian.

X

@tomjenkns

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

8 hours ago
a day ago
5 days ago
  • Getty
    8 hours ago

    Kyle Busch cause of death revealed as severe pneumonia, sepsis as NASCAR star's family issue statement

    Busch passed away on Thursday at the age of 41 after being hospitalised with a 'severe illness'.

    Other
  • Getty
    a day ago

    Enhanced Games star attempting to beat his own world record that has stood for eight years

    A swimmer competing at the Enhanced Games is trying to break his own world record in Las Vegas.

    Other
  • Getty
    a day ago

    Kyle Busch asked for doctor immediately after NASCAR race 11 days before sudden death

    Two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion Busch passed away at the age of 41 on Thursday after being hospitalised with a 'severe illness'.

    Other
  • Getty Images
    5 days ago

    Caitlin Clark controversy causes outrage as WNBA called out

    The basketball superstar has once again made headlines, but not because of her performances on the court.

    Other
  • UK government announce Paralympic Games boycott as statement issued
  • Nation pulls out of Paralympic Games just hours before opening ceremony
  • Athletics Star Controversially Stripped of World Record After Little-Known Rule Breach
  • Olympic Athlete Stripped of Medal After Infamous 'Dirtiest Race' Scandal