sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Real Madrid to take action against Barcelona, join legal battle against their rival
Home>Football
Updated 19:17 12 Mar 2023 GMTPublished 18:26 12 Mar 2023 GMT

Real Madrid to take action against Barcelona, join legal battle against their rival

Real Madrid will look to pile the misery on Barcelona as the Catalan club faces legal action

Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Real Madrid have confirmed that they intend to join the complaint against Barcelona after the Catalan club were charged with corruption.

The current La Liga leaders were charged this week over payments made to the vice-president of Spanish football’s refereeing committee, Jose Maria Enriquez Negreira.

Enriquez Negreira, who held the position between 1994 and 2018, also faces corruption charges in a case brought by the Spanish public prosecutor's office.

Two former Barcelona presidents, Josep Maria Bartomeu and Sandro Rosell, also face charges.

Advert

Barcelona say they hired an "external consultant" to provide reports "related to professiona refereeing," but the corruption charges suggest that the public prosecutor believes there is foul play involved.

Both Barcelona and Enriquez Negreira deny the charges, but now Real Madrid have announced they will join the complaint against their bitter rivals.

After Real Madrid president Florentino Perez called an emergency board meeting on Sunday, the reigning La Liga champions and Champions League holders released a statement.

"Real Madrid wishes to express its utmost concern regarding the gravity of the facts and reiterates its confidence in the legal system.

"The club has agreed that, in defence of its legitimate rights, it will appear at the trial when the judge opens it up to the affected parties."

La Liga will also make a complaint, and The Athletic has reported that the Spanish FA will do so too.

In response to the developments, Barcelona president Joan Laporta posted on Twitter:

"Barca is innocent and the victim of a campaign against its honour in which everyone is now involved. No surprise, we will defend Barca and demonstrate the club’s innocence. Many will have to correct themselves."

Until Sunday, the only public comment on the issue made by Real Madrid came from the club's director of institutional relations, Emilio Butragueno.

"We must respect the times of justice and now we must wait for the conclusion of the investigations of the prosecutor’s office," he said last month.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy/PA

Topics: Barcelona, Real Madrid, La Liga, Champions League, Florentino Perez, Joan Laporta

Alex Brotherton
Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton is a journalist at SPORTbible. He has previously worked with publications including the Manchester Evening News, GOAL and BBC Sport. He is a football fanatic, but also dabbles in tennis and American football. He can often be found watching dreadful non-league football.

X

@alex_brotherton

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

25 mins ago
2 hours ago
11 hours ago
12 hours ago
  • Getty
    25 mins ago

    Arsenal's Premier League trophy lift plans confirmed as Gunners celebrate historic triumph

    Arsenal have also made a decision on their kit for the special moment at Selhurst Park.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    FIFA approve Iran's rare request for World Cup amid United States peace deal talks

    Iran's Mehdi Taj has confirmed how Iran's World Cup preparations will change drastically after the approval.

    Football
  • DeFodi Images/Getty
    11 hours ago

    Napoli reject two Premier League offers for Scott McTominay as future takes new twist

    Could we see a homecoming?

    Football
  • Getty
    12 hours ago

    'Such a massive club...' - Player publicly confirms interest in signing for Man Utd this summer

    United are heavily linked with two midfielders but a third transfer target has spoken out.

    Football
  • Mega-rich businessman 'ready' to challenge Florentino Perez and win Real Madrid presidential election
  • Real Madrid President Florentino Perez launches lengthy rant and argues with journalists in emergency press conference
  • Real Madrid decide on two shock alternatives in case Jose Mourinho deal falls through
  • Kylian Mbappe given brutal reception by Real Madrid fans as Florentino Perez also comes under fire