• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Everton manager Sean Dyche points out that graphic is 'wrong' ahead of Carabao Cup game

Home> Football> Premier League

Published 11:05 31 Aug 2023 GMT+1

Everton manager Sean Dyche points out that graphic is 'wrong' ahead of Carabao Cup game

Everton manager Sean Dyche was speaking to Sky Sports ahead of their Carabao Cup clash against Doncaster.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

Everton manager Sean Dyche pointed out that a graphic of his starting XI was "wrong" ahead of their Carabao Cup clash against Doncaster on Wednesday.

The 52-year-old former Burnley boss, who hasn't enjoyed the best start to this season, with Everton losing their opening three Premier League games, was speaking to Sky Sports before kick-off.

He joined presenter Mark Chapman and pundits Darren Moore, Kevin Campbell and Izzy Christiansen on the Eco-Power Stadium touchline to chat about his team for the second round tie.

Advert

And shortly after a graphic of his predicted 4-4-2 formation popped up on screen, Chapman said: "When we put Grant's up, it was in the wrong formation. So hopefully we've got this in the right formation."

The discussion soon turned to new signing Beto, who joined the ranks at Goodison Park earlier this week in a £25 million deal from Serie A side Udinese. "I'd like to [give him 20, 25 minutes]," Dyche said.

"We only [just] got clearance of his visa, that's what we were waiting on. We'd set the team up, worked on it."

Moments later, the Everton manager decided to point out that the Sky Sports graphic was indeed wrong; a statement that left Chapman laughing on the touchline. "That's wrong by the way, but anyway," Dyche continued.

Advert

Everton would instead play a 4-1-3-2 formation against their League Two opponents, with Amadou Onana sitting behind Abdoulaye Doucoure on the left.

Former Manchester United midfielder James Garner played through the middle rather than on the right of a midfield four, while Lewis Dobbin stretched Doncaster's defensive line from the right.

Image credit: Sky Sports
Image credit: Sky Sports
Image credit: Sky Sports
Image credit: Sky Sports

Advert

Doncaster, who sit bottom of League Two after picking up just one point from a possible 15, took a surprise lead in the 44th minute, when Joe Ironside headed past Jordan Pickford.

Two summers signings, however, handed the Toffees a place in the third round. Beto scored on his Everton debut with 73 minutes played before Arnaut Danjuma sealed a narrow 2-1 victory with a late winner.

Dyche was full of praise for Beto in his post-match comments.

“He’s only got here yesterday, so it’s a lot to ask, really," he said. "We only got his clearance this morning, so we’d already set the team up. I had it in my mind to put him on at half-time regardless.

Advert

"He’s adapted very quickly, done very well tonight. With all due respect, the Premier League is different, but he’s shown the rawness, the pace and the effect that he can have on a team.

"It gives us something different, which is what we brought him here for.”


Featured Image Credit: Sky Sports

Topics: Everton, Sean Dyche, Premier League, League Two, Carabao Cup

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack is a Senior Journalist who enjoys a long read. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day, and has interviewed a handful of FM's finest, including Freddy Adu, Supat Rungratsamee and Mika Aaritalo.

X

@jackkenmare_

Advert

Advert

Advert

  • New Everton owners have 'already lined up' shock new manager to replace Sean Dyche ahead of takeover
  • Everton sack Sean Dyche hours before FA Cup third-round game and have already 'named his replacement'
  • Sean Dyche lands new job two months after Everton sacking with multiple offers on the table
  • Clear early favourite emerges in race to replace Sean Dyche after Everton ruthlessly sack manager

Choose your content:

9 hours ago
14 hours ago
15 hours ago
  • GettyGetty
    9 hours ago

    Kobbie Mainoo 'responds' to Ruben Amorim denying his Man Utd transfer request

    Mainoo has been an unused substitute in both of United's Premier League matches this season.

    Football
  • GettyGetty
    9 hours ago

    Man Utd 'accept' permanent bid for Antony but fans have spotted major problem

    Antony is finally on the move from Manchester United on a permanent basis.

    Football
  • EA SportsEA Sports
    14 hours ago

    Man Utd player ratings on EA FC 26 leaked as fans left stunned by squad

    There are a number of significant changes compared to EA FC 25.

    Football
  • GettyGetty
    15 hours ago

    Thomas Tuchel's true feelings on Trent Alexander-Arnold revealed after England snub

    Trent Alexander-Arnold has been left out of Thomas Tuchel's latest England squad.

    Football