The Top Ten Most-Viewed Goals On YouTube
Lionel Messi's goal against Real Madrid in 2017 is the most-viewed goal on YouTube, a study from Ticket Gum shows.
The sports ticket broker website were curious about what was the most viewed goal in football history and so drafted up a list of the top 15 they could think of.
They then searched for the goals on YouTube, whether it was an unofficial clip or highlights package or not and filtered to get the "most viewed" and ultimately put together the list of top ten.
And they found that the winner was Messi's last-gasp finish to secure a 3-2 El Clasico victory three years ago. While it wasn't his best goal, him silencing the Bernabeu and celebrating in iconic fashion has seen it garner 40 million views online.
Messi features three times on the list, with his stunning solo dribbles against Getafe and Bayern Munich in fifth and seventh respectively.
Diego Maradona, the left-footed Argentine that came before him, features in fourth for his memorable 'Hand of God' goal against England in 1986 - which has racked up 9.1 million views.
More Argentine presence comes in the form of Sergio Aguero - specifically THAT dramatic 93rd minute goal against QPR to seal Manchester City's first Premier League title. The goal is ranked in tenth, on 2.2 million views.
Roberto Carlos' physics-defying free-kick against France in 1997 is second on 24.5 million views, with David Beckham's sensational free-kick for England against Greece at Old Trafford occupying third spot thanks to the 15.1 million views it has recorded.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic's overhead kick against England in 2012 (sixth on the list) beats the stunning acrobatic heroics Wayne Rooney conjured up in the Manchester derby, while Zinedine Zidane's ridiculous left-footed volley in the 2002 Champions League final comes in at eighth on the list.
More Like ThisMore Like This
List in full:
1. Lionel Messi vs Real Madrid in 2017 - 40 million views
2. Roberto Carlos vs France in 1997 - 24.5 million views.
3. David Beckham vs Greece in 2001 - 15.1 million views
4. Diego Maradona vs England in 1986 - 9.1 million views
5. Lionel Messi vs Getafe in 2007 - 8.5 million views
6. Zlatan Ibrahimovic vs England in 2012 - 7.5 million views
7. Lionel Messi vs Bayern Munich in 2015 - 4.8 million views
8. Wayne Rooney vs Manchester City in 2011 - 3.8 million views
9. Zinedine Zidane vs Bayer Leverkusen in 2002 - 3.3 million views.
10. Sergio Aguero vs QPR in 2012 - 2.2 million views
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read