In a press conference earlier this week, Gareth Southgate confirmed that Chelsea's in-form winger turned down a call-up after missing out on a place in the senior squad for this month's World Cup qualifiers against Albania and San Marino.
He explained Hudson Odoi's decision further, saying: "I had a good chat with Callum before last month's get-together because it is difficult if you are a young player. You've been with the senior team, he went back to play with the U21s in the last cycle and then to go again in a second cycle, I can understand is a difficult challenge."
Southgate added: "So we would still like him to do that but he wants to back himself with his Chelsea form to get back into the seniors and I totally respect that. But by not being in the Under-21s he misses a bit of an opportunity to impress us and come across if we need players for training and those sorts of things.
"He has had a couple of good matches for Chelsea. I know Thomas [Tuchel] is guarded about how much he goes with praise on that but it is good to see him back playing and playing more regularly at first-team level and he knows the challenge that's ahead.
"But he knows also that we are constantly watching him and he is young and talented enough to mount a serious challenge as we move forward."
Southgate has been impressed by Chilwell & Hudson-Odoi's performances :fire: pic.twitter.com/FRTqwskuKh
- Chelsea FC News (@Chelsea_FL) November 4, 2021
Hudson-Odoi has certainly impressed under Thomas Tuchel this season after making 37 appearances in all competitions last term.
He scored in their 7-0 win against Premier League strugglers Norwich last month and on Tuesday night, he played a key role in their Champions League victory over Malmo, providing Hakim Ziyech with an assist to score the winner.
But the 20-year-old has been branded 'arrogant' by former England international Trevor Sinclair for his latest decision.
"The only one I would say is bad is Hudson-Odoi - and I don't mean to pick him out," the former West Ham and Manchester City midfielder told talkSPORT.
"For me, I think that's quite arrogant. A big part of being a footballer and a big reason why you make it is staying humble.
"There's a lot of ups and downs. When you're flying, you're alright, when you're not doing so well, you've got people who have got your back.
"I think Hudson-Odoi saying that he's not playing for the Under-21s is poor."
Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel, meanwhile, believes Hudson-Odoi's decision to turn down a call-up is a huge boost for his club, but has warned the player that he may face consequences over his controversial choice.
"I can understand if people don't understand it," he said. "I don't read judgements from outside. Callum is aware that if he takes a decision, not everyone will be happy.
"You should ask Callum about it and he probably has a good reason why he is not joining and why personally it's better to stay and be in training.
"It is easy to judge from outside. We should hear both sides if you want his case to be solved.
"I am not involved and I am happy because I don't think I am here to convince players to join when they don't feel they want to join.
"We do the best of the situation and if there are consequences then I'm sure he'll take them because he is a young adult."
Back in July, it was reported that Hudson-Odoi was set to change international allegiance from England to Ghana and take advantage of new FIFA rules.
The Chelsea player recently spent time in the West African country for a special visit.
As part of his plan to give back, he held a meeting with President Nana Akufo-Addo at the Jubilee House to discuss how to "improve football infrastructure and opportunities for children and young people" in the nation.
It is said the President specifically asked Mustapha Ussif, the Minister of Youth and Sports, to try and convince the 20-year-old to represent the Black Stars going forward.
Had good fun yesterday against @IamKingPromise team and it was good to see a lot of people came to watch!! Unlucky bro, maybe next time:flag_gh::blue_heart: pic.twitter.com/o1vH54TFak
- Callum Hudson-Odoi (@Calteck10) June 4, 2021
Thoughts on Callum Hudson-Odoi's decision to turn down the U21 call-up?
Let us know in the comments.
Featured Image Credit: PA/Instagram
- Callum Hudson-Odoi makes u-turn decision on international allegiance switch from England
- England Star Will Switch International Allegiance To Parents' Country If They Qualify For World Cup
- Callum Hudson Odoi in talks over a move away as Chelsea exit edges closer
- Shock England Player Backed For World Cup Call-Up, Not Played International Game Since 2018