Arteta gives blunt response when asked about Chelsea's plan to 'hijack' Arsenal's bid to sign Mudryk
| Last updated
Mikel Arteta issued a blunt response to the news Chelsea are planning to hijack Arsenal’s move for Mykhailo Mudryk.
The Ukrainian has been identified as Arsenal’s No.1 transfer target, with the Gunners having reportedly had two bids rebuffed by Shakhtar Donetsk for the player already.
Arsenal saw a £55million bid rejected last week, while a second improved bid of £62million is also expected to be rejected. The Ukrainian club have publicly stated that they expect a fee of around £88million for the player.
However, Fabrizio Romano has stated that the Blues are also in talks with Shakhtar over a deal and that Darijo Srna, the club's director, is expected to meet with Chelsea chiefs in London this week.
The publication said that the Blues remained “bullish” in their pursuit of Mudryk, and that the new Chelsea owner, Todd Boehly, is willing to take rivals on and “blow them out of the water” when necessary.
Arteta responds to Chelsea’s hijack attempts
Mikel Arteta issued a blunt response to the claims that Chelsea were planning to hijack Arsenal’s deal for Mudryk.
When asked the latest on the transfer front after Tuesday’s goalless draw against Newcastle, Arteta said, via the Evening Standard: “I don’t know, it’s a question for Edu and the board to respond. We are trying to improve the squad in every window.
“This is no different, we will do our best because we cannot waste any window with the squad numbers that we have so we shall try.”
It has been widely reported that the winger prefers a move to the Arsenal after conversations with Arteta over his prospective role at the Emirates.
The only sticking point in negotiations is the fee, with an agreement between Arsenal and the Ukraine international having reportedly already been struck.
The Independent claim that while Arsenal are aware of Chelsea’s interest, they are confident Mudryk will eventually come to north London.