Shakhtar Donetsk are expected to reject Arsenal’s second offer for winger Mykhailo Mudryk, according to a fresh report.
The 21-year-old’s Champions League performances for Shakhtar have seen him attract the attention of some of Europe’s biggest clubs.
While Chelsea and La Liga giants Real Madrid are said to be interested, Arsenal are reportedly leading the race to sign the winger.
The Gunners already saw a £55million bid for Mudryk rejected by Shakhtar last week, partly because most of the proposed fee was due to be paid in add-ons rather than up-front.
Mudryk is keen on a move to Arsenal while all parties reportedly remain in talks. Nevertheless, it seems that Shakhtar have rejected the Gunners’ second bid for the player.
Second Arsenal bid rejected
The Gunners are still “far away” from Shakhtar’s valuation of the forward, with the Ukrainian club having said publicly that they would accept a fee close to £85million.
Matthews added that talks were ongoing between Arsenal and Shakhtar, while Chelsea are also in negotiations with Igor Jovićević’s side.
However, the Blues are not thought to have made a bid for the player yet.
Darijo Srna, Shakhtar's director of football, is said to be in England for talks over the coming days. However the Croatian visits London fairly regularly with his family allegedly living in the city.
Personal terms agreed?
On Sunday Foot Mercato claimed that Mudryk had already agreed to a deal in principle to join Arsenal after conversations with Mikel Arteta. All that needed to be agreed upon was a fee between the two clubs.
Indeed the Gunners have prioritised signing a forward in the January transfer window, given their lack of options in attacking positions.
The Premier League leaders need to reinforce their attack after summer signing Gabriel Jesus suffered an injury while at the World Cup. The striker is likely to be out for the foreseeable future.