• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
"Sources..." - Journalist drops worrying transfer news for Man Utd fans even if Qatari bid is successful

Home> Football

Updated 14:59 21 Feb 2023 GMTPublished 14:51 21 Feb 2023 GMT

"Sources..." - Journalist drops worrying transfer news for Man Utd fans even if Qatari bid is successful

Not the news Man Utd fans will want to hear.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

Manchester United will unable to spend heavily in the summer transfer window even if the Qatari takeover bid is successful, it has been claimed.

Qatari investor Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani made his offer to buy United public on Friday, while a bid from Red Devils fan Sir Jim Ratcliffe and his company Ineos was also announced.

The Times reported on Saturday that US hedge firm Elliott have also submitted an offer but are not looking for a full takeover from the Glazer family.

Advert

Much of the focus on the bidding process has centred around the Qatari bid, with Al Thani promising to "return United to its former glories both on and off the pitch".

ESPN journalist Rob Dawson claims Al Thani is ready to invest in the squad as soon as possible if his buy-out is successful.

But his hands could be tied, with the report also claiming that United are not planning an extravagant spend in the summer.

Why can't Man Utd spend heavily this summer?

Sources have told ESPN that United must be restrained in the transfer market with the club at risk of breaching Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations.

Failure to qualify for this season's Champions League, plus a lack of significant player departures, has meant United are could breach FFP rules if they spend heavily this summer.

Advert

That is despite the club's commercial, broadcast and matchday revenue streams remaining strong.

Club officials are hopeful that there will be clarity over the ownership situation by the end of the season, which would allow them to formulate plans for the summer market with plenty of time before the window closes.

While there is unlikely to be a huge splurge this summer, sources have told ESPN that Erik ten Hag will have money to spend in the summer, even if the Glazers are still in control.

United forked out more than £220m - the most the club have ever spent in a single window - to sign Tyrell Malacia, Lisandro Martinez, Casemiro, Antony and Martin Dubravka in the summer transfer window.

Advert

But they had a relatively quiet January, signing Jack Butland, Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer on loan deals.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Manchester United, Football, Premier League, Transfers

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA. Tested daily as a Liverpool fan in a Manchester office.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

6 hours ago
7 hours ago
8 hours ago
9 hours ago
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    6 hours ago

    Nicolas Jackson's agent speaks out after Chelsea request transfer to Bayern Munich is cancelled

    Chelsea have asked Jackson to return to London.

    Football
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    7 hours ago

    Fan footage of 98th minute incident during Man Utd vs Burnley has become big talking point

    United picked up their first win of the season on Saturday.

    Football
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    8 hours ago

    Police issue statement after teenager arrested near Stamford Bridge over imitation firearm

    The boy was arrested after Chelsea's victory over Fulham on Saturday.

    Football
  • Premier LeaguePremier League
    9 hours ago

    Ruben Amorim's reaction before Bruno Fernandes scored last minute penalty vs Burnley speaks volumes

    It was a nervy game at Old Trafford.

    Football
  • Man Utd make Kobbie Mainoo transfer decision as new update drops
  • Man Utd could be sold by Glazers as forgotten clause opens door for Qatari takeover
  • Ruben Amorim tells Man Utd player he can leave with days left of transfer window
  • Kobbie Mainoo transfer bombshell drops after playing zero Premier League minutes for Man Utd this season