Deadly striker who agreed Liverpool move in 2019 now available for free
| Last updated
Former Germany international Max Kruse is now available on a free transfer after having his contract terminated at Wolfsburg.
Kruse, 34, came close to joining Liverpool in 2019.
Origi scored twice in the semi-final second leg against Barcelona to secure a memorable 4-3 aggregate win for Jurgen Klopp's side.
He then scored the second goal for Liverpool in their 2-0 win over Tottenham in the 2019 Champions League final.
Kruse: Liverpool move was fixed
Speaking last year, Kruse claims he was set to move to Liverpool from Werder Bremen before the Premier League opted to retain Origi instead.
"In my opinion, it was relatively fixed. [Liverpool] actually wanted to give up two strikers, then one of the strikers scored goals in the Champions League semi-final and final," Kruse told the Spieltagssiegerbesieger – Der Kickbase podcast.
"Then it was over. At that moment it was disappointing."
Kruse added that he held nothing against Liverpool and Klopp over the failed transfer.
"Talking to Jurgen Klopp was awesome," he said.
"We spoke on the phone once or twice. Everything is great with him. I’m not angry with Jurgen. Every now and then I send him a photo from vacation!"
Kruse would instead move to Turkish side Fenerbahce before returning to German football the following season with Union Berlin.
He spent two years with the club before joining Wolfsburg in 2021.
After struggling for first-team minutes this season, Kruse agreed to have his contract with Wolfsburg terminated on Monday.
The striker, who has scored 162 career goals, is now available on a free transfer.