Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made his feelings clear on Man Utd return before Besiktas sacking

Home> Football> Football News> Man Utd

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made his feelings clear on Man Utd return before Besiktas sacking

Solskjaer was sacked by Besiktas on Thursday.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has previously made his feelings clear on a potential return to Manchester United, having spent almost three years in charge at Old Trafford.

The 52-year-old Norwegian is currently without a club after he was sacked by Turkish club Besiktas on Thursday afternoon, just hours after they were knocked out of the Conference League.

He steered the club to a fourth-placed finish in the Super Lig last season, but following their defeat to Swiss side Lausanne in the play-offs this week, he was dismissed with immediate effect.

"Our contract with manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been terminated following a decision made at the board meeting," a statement from Besiktas read.

It added: "Following the meeting, our chairman, Serdal Adalı, thanked Solskjaer for his services to date. We respectfully present this for the public's information."

Ruben Amorim, meanwhile, is under pressure following a slow start to the season that has included a penalty shoot-out defeat to League Two side Grimsby in the Carabao Cup second round.

Before taking the Besiktas job in January, Solskjaer publicly commented on the subject of a return to Old Trafford as the pressure continued to mount on Erik ten Hag.

Solskjaer, who was relieved of his duties in November 2021 following the club's 4-1 defeat to Watford, would reject several job offers following his time at United, including two proposals from clubs in the Saudi Pro League.

Leicester City were also keen and were in contact over a possible move, but the former Manchester United striker remained a free agent.

At the time, Solskjaer spoke to a crowd of around 3,000 people at the Oslo Business Forum, and was asked about a possible return to Old Trafford as manager.

“If your family asks you, you say yes every day of the week," he said, as per Norwegian outlet VG. "It feels wrong to talk about jobs other people have. But I say yes.”

Solskjaer has previously admitted that the club still has a special hold over him.

“I have cried, as a grown man, twice in my life,” he said in 2023. “The first time was after my testimonial. And then, a year and a half ago, when I had to leave. Manchester United just does something to you.”

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

Topics: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Man Utd, Ruben Amorim, Premier League, Besiktas