sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
New report reveals exactly why Liverpool pulled out of Leny Yoro deal ahead of Man Utd move
Home>Football>Football News>Liverpool
Published 10:48 19 Jul 2024 GMT+1

New report reveals exactly why Liverpool pulled out of Leny Yoro deal ahead of Man Utd move

Manchester United confirmed the signing of Leny Yoro on Thursday night.

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A new report has unearthed the reasons why Liverpool decided not to compete with Manchester United for Leny Yoro.

After weeks of speculation, it was announced on Thursday night that young French defender Yoro had completed a £52 million move from Lille to United.

After securing his move to Old Trafford, the 18-year-old spoke to the club’s official website. He said: “Signing for a club with the stature and ambition of Manchester United so early in my career is an incredible honour.

“Since my first conversations with the club, they set out a clear plan for how I can develop in Manchester as part of this exciting project, and showed a lot of care for me and my family.”

Advert

Prior to his move to United, Yoro was heavily linked with Spanish La Liga giants Real Madrid and Premier League side Liverpool were also reportedly interested.

It was later revealed that Liverpool and Madrid had stepped away from the race, paving the way for United to seal the deal.

Now, the reasons behind Liverpool’s decision to step aside in the race for Yoro have been reported by journalist David Lynch.

It is believed that Liverpool felt a transfer fee of over £50 million for an 18-year-old with just one year left on his contract was excessive.

Image
Getty

In addition, the report stated: “The Reds were also put off by the fact that Yoro has just 60 senior appearances to his name, well below the usual threshold they feel can mitigate against transfer risk.

“What’s more, the £150,000-per-week pay packet the defender has been handed by United could not have been justified at Anfield given it would have put him immediately among the club’s top earners.”

With the likes of Virgil van Dijk, Joe Gomez, Ibrahima Konate and Jarell Quansah already at their disposal, Liverpool ultimately felt Yoro was not the right man to purchase.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Liverpool, Manchester United, Football

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

25 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty
    25 mins ago

    Kevin De Bruyne believes Premier League denied him assist record that Bruno Fernandes now holds

    Fernandes surpassed the assist record De Bruyne previously held alongside Thierry Henry on Sunday.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    West Ham player has told Nuno Espirito Santo he will 'never play for him again' amid Premier League relegation

    West Ham's situation goes from bad to worse.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Aston Villa win over Man City secures Champions League qualification for another club

    Villa's victory has had a knock-on effect on the 2026/27 Champions League.

    Football
  • Manchester City
    2 hours ago

    Joe Hart responds after Pep Guardiola mentioned him when speaking about his biggest regret at Man City

    Pep Guardiola spoke about the one regret he has 'hid deep inside for many years'.

    Football
  • Man Utd 'agree' deal for another signing just hours after confirming deal for Leny Yoro
  • Man Utd fans stunned upon finding out how much Joshua Zirkzee will earn after signing five-year deal
  • Man Utd 'agree' deal for another signing just hours after confirming deal for Leny Yoro
  • Liverpool and Man Utd to 'hold talks' with Euro 2024 star over stunning free transfer