sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Mikel Arteta shuts down Barcelona rumours with perfect response that will delight Arsenal fans
Home>Football>Football News>Arsenal
Updated 14:09 29 Jan 2024 GMTPublished 13:48 29 Jan 2024 GMT

Mikel Arteta shuts down Barcelona rumours with perfect response that will delight Arsenal fans

Mikel Arteta has been linked with the managerial position at Barcelona.

Nasir Jabbar

Nasir Jabbar

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Mikel Arteta has broken his silence about fresh reports linking him with a sensational move to Barcelona.

Arteta is on Barca's shortlist of candidates to replace Xavi following his decision to step down as manager at the end of the season.

The La Liga giants have been long-time admirers of Arteta, who was linked with the job following the dismissal of Ronald Koeman back in October 2021.

On Sunday, it was reported in Spain that the Arsenal boss is planning a shock exit in June after allegedly telling his close friends that he may leave at the end of the season.

Advert

But Arteta, who spent a portion of his youth career at Barca, has dismissed reports linking him with the hot-seat at the Camp Nou.

Speaking at his pre-match press conference, he said: "No. That’s totally fake news. What I read yesterday I don’t know where it’s coming from. I’m really upset about it."

He added: "I could not believe it. I don’t know where it’s coming from. I think we have to be very careful when you talk about personal things especially.

"I’m in the right place."

On his contact, he continued: "I don’t know. I’ve got a strong relationship with the board. Things come in a natural way. We’ve always done it that way and we’ve done it really well."

Asked why he's angry with the Barca links, Arteta replied: "One is a consequence of the other. First of all I’m really cautious when I talk publicly about my personal things.

"When someone puts a statement about what we’ve done personally.

"Secondly because I don’t think someone deserves to hear news like that. I’ve always said completely the opposite. That’s why I feel upset."

Mikel Arteta during an Arsenal training session. Image: Getty
Mikel Arteta during an Arsenal training session. Image: Getty

Arteta, who was Pep Guardiola's No.2 at Manchester City, has been at the helm since December 2019 after replacing Unai Emery and is contracted until 2025.

He has overseen 211 matches, winning 121 games and guided his side to FA Cup glory in the 2019/20 season.

The 41-year-old almost led his team to the Premier League title last season as they finished in second place, five points behind Man City.

The Gunners, meanwhile, haven't played since their comfortable 5-0 victory over Crystal Palace earlier this month.

They resume their league campaign tomorrow against Nottingham Forest.

Arsenal have 43 points on the board and sit in third place, five points behind league leaders Liverpool.

Featured Image Credit: Getty/Hayters TV

Topics: Mikel Arteta, Arsenal, Barcelona, Football

Nasir Jabbar
Nasir Jabbar

Nasir Jabbar is a journalist at SPORTbible. He graduated from Bath Spa University with a BA in Media Communications. He's a combat sport aficionado and has contributed to MMA websites AddictedMMA and CagePotato. Nasir has covered some of the biggest fights, while interviewing the likes of Conor McGregor, Anthony Joshua, Tyson Fury and Darren Till. He's also an avid Bristol City fan.

X

@NasJabbar

Recommended reads

Ronnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'GettyAteba Gautier was called the 'future' by Joe Rogan, but he's more interested in what his cats thinkMike Roach/Zuffa LLC

Advert

Choose your content:

a minute ago
an hour ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty
    a minute ago

    23-year-old footballer speaks publicly after being stabbed seven times in Huntingdon train attack

    Jonathan Gjoshe was seriously injured in the knife attack in November 2025

    Football
  • Getty Images
    a minute ago

    Jose Mourinho has already identified his first major signing for Real Madrid and it would be huge

    Mourinho is on the verge of becoming Real Madrid manager for a second time.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Casemiro's name is purposefully spelt wrong on the back of his Man Utd shirt

    The Brazilian says he is a superstitious person.

    Football
  • Getty Images - X/alex_the_kid_official IG
    3 hours ago

    Elliot Anderson's reaction after fan shouts 'United next season' outside Old Trafford is going viral

    Anderson is being linked with a summer move to Manchester United.

    Football
  • Craig Burley launches astonishing attack on Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta over VAR controversy
  • Arsenal fans tell Mikel Arteta the PSG player to target during Champions League final
  • Barcelona 'in talks' with Arsenal star over shock summer transfer in huge blow to Mikel Arteta
  • Luis Enrique leaves CBS Sports panel in tears with Mikel Arteta comment