To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK

Al Nassr finally breaks silence over sensational reports about Cristiano Ronaldo's alleged involvement in Saudi Arabia’s World Cup bid

Adnan Riaz

Published 
| Last updated 

Al Nassr finally breaks silence over sensational reports about Cristiano Ronaldo's alleged involvement in Saudi Arabia’s World Cup bid

Al Nassr have broken their silence after reports emerged that Cristiano Ronaldo could double his annual salary if he becomes an ambassador for Saudi Arabia’s 2030 World Cup bid.

Ronaldo, who is under contract until 2025, inked a lucrative deal with Al Nassr and is set to earn a mammoth £177m salary during his spell with the Saudi Arabian side.

Saudi Arabia is hopeful of following in the footsteps of Qatar by becoming the second Middle East country to host a World Cup.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino hailed the World Cup being held in Qatar as the “best ever,” despite mounting criticism over the country’s human rights record.

Loading…

Infantino has hinted that the World Cup could be held in the winter again in the future, opening the door for a country like Saudi Arabia to host the competition.

According to reports, Saudi Arabia are expected to make a joint bid with Greece and Egypt to host the 2030 World Cup.

News agency AFP reported that Ronaldo could earn an eye-watering fee if he took on duties to promote Saudi Arabia’s bid to secure the rights to the World Cup.

However, Al Nassr has since come out to deny reports that the 37-year-old Portuguese forward has any commitments to help with any World Cup bids.

Posting a statement on Twitter on Tuesday, the club tweeted: “Al Nassr FC would like to clarify that contrary to news reports, Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract with Al Nassr does not entail commitments to any World Cup bids.

“His main focus is on Al Nassr and to work with his teammates to help the club achieve success.”

Manchester United legend Ronaldo broke down in tears after Portugal were dumped out of the World Cup in Qatar, with his international future cast in doubt at the time.

New Portugal manager Roberto Martinez has hinted that Ronaldo is still part of his plans ahead of Euro 2024 in Germany and the 2026 World Cup in North America.

Ronaldo had previously hinted that he could have retired from international duty with Portugal had his country lifted the World Cup in Qatar.

“It’s difficult to tell right now because my mood is right now [focused on] the World Cup,” he told Piers Morgan on TalkTV last November.

“It’s probably my last World Cup, of course, my fifth World Cup. I don’t know what’s going to happen after the World Cup, but as I told you before, and I will say again, the fans will always be in my heart.

READ MORE:

“And I hope they will be by my side, even if I [come] back, or if I’m not back, or if I stay or whatever. Nobody’s perfect.

“Episodes in the life we all have is part of being human beings, is part of me being a human being and [being a] father as well. I always will commit mistakes.

“But I don’t know, it’s hard to tell right now what’s going to happen after the World Cup because my focus is for the World Cup, for the Portugal national team.

“Would I retire if Portugal win the World Cup? Yes. Retired. 100 per cent.”

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Cristiano Ronaldo, Saudi Arabia, Saudi Pro League, Al Nassr, Football, Football World Cup

Adnan Riaz
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Football

Chelsea failed with ambitious deadline day move for World Cup star Sofyan Amrabat

a few seconds ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Hakim Ziyech's move to PSG collapsed after 'Chelsea sent the wrong documents THREE times'

4 hours ago