Newcastle United have officially completed the transfer of Sandro Tonali from AC Milan.
The club said in a statement: “Newcastle United are delighted to announce the signing of Italian international midfielder Sandro Tonali from AC Milan.
“The 23-year-old joins the Magpies for an undisclosed fee and has agreed a contract at St. James’ Park initially until 2028.”
Upon completing his move to St.James’ Park, Tonali told the club’s official website: “First of all, I want to thank Newcastle United because they are giving me a huge opportunity for my career.
“I want to repay the trust on the pitch, giving it my all, as I always have. I'm really excited about playing at St. James' Park, I can't wait to feel the warmth of the fans.”
Magpies boss Eddie Howe expressed his delight in securing his target. He said: “I'm delighted to welcome Sandro to Newcastle United.
“He is an exceptional talent and has the mentality, physicality and technical attributes to be a great fit for us.”
Official: Sandro Tonali joins Newcastle on €70m deal with add-ons included. AC Milan will also have 10% sell-on clause. Contract until June 2029. ⚪️⚫️ #NUFC— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) July 3, 2023
It’s record sale for AC Milan — as Tonali becomes most expensive Italian player in the history of the game. 🇮🇹 pic.twitter.com/eloNN35dP1
Howe added: “At 23, Sandro already has important experience as a key player in one of Europe's top leagues and in the Champions League, as well as playing for his country.
“But he also has the opportunity and potential to grow and evolve with us, and I’m excited to add him to our squad as we approach the exciting season ahead.”
Tonali is the first signing of the summer for Newcastle as Howe looks to build a squad capable to challenging in the Premier League and the Champions League.
So far, the North East club have been linked with the likes of Scott McTominay, Nicolo Barella and Kalvin Phillips.