• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Christian Horner has already confirmed Sergio Perez's next move after brutal Red Bull sacking

Home> F1

Published 10:58 19 Dec 2024 GMT

Christian Horner has already confirmed Sergio Perez's next move after brutal Red Bull sacking

The Red Bull boss has confirmed what's next for Perez.

Ben McCrum

Ben McCrum

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Christian Horner has spoken out to confirm what's next for Sergio Perez after he was sacked by Red Bull Racing

After four seasons with Red Bull, Perez announced that he had parted ways with the Formula One team in an official statement on Wednesday.

The Mexican driver had been under pressure throughout the 2024 season as teammate Max Verstappen continued to significantly outperform him as he went on to win four consecutive world titles.

And now that Perez is officially without a seat for 2025, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has spoken out to confirm what is next for the 34-year-old.

Advert

After the news of Perez's departure was confirmed, the Red Bull boss spoke out to pay tribute to the driver and thank him for all that he gave to the team, while revealing the next step for the Mexican.

“Checo has been a fantastic member of this team, it’s been a tough year for him, but he’s a great person and played a key role in 2021 drivers’ championship,” Horner told Sky Sports.

“We sat down and discussed it last week. He’s decided to take a bit of time out, take a sabbatical from Formula 1 essentially. He’ll still be involved with the brand and the team. But he’s stepping back from driving duties moving forward.

“We’re sad to see him leave the team. It’s time for him to spend time with his family and reflect on what he wants to do for the future.”

During his four years with Red Bull, Perez won five Grand Prix across over 90 starts with the team and was a fantastic team player to Verstappen, helping him win his first championship in 2021.

Sergio Perez will be replaced by New Zealand's Liam Lawson. (Image: Getty)
Sergio Perez will be replaced by New Zealand's Liam Lawson. (Image: Getty)

But, in his own statement, Perez appeared to confirm Horner's comments, suggesting that he will be taking some time away from the sport to evaluate exactly what the next step in his Formula One career would be.

In his official statement on Instagram, the Mexican driver said: "On a personal note, it’s time to slow down for the first time in my life. But only for a few corners until we know what our next journey is.

"Driving for Red Bull has been an unforgettable experience and I'll always cherish the successes we achieved together."

Featured Image Credit: Sky Sports/Getty

Topics: Red Bull Racing, Max Verstappen, Formula 1

Ben McCrum
Ben McCrum

Ben is a sports journalist who specialises in football, Formula One and MMA. He has written for publications such as Manchester Evening News, WiganToday, Manchester World and beIN Sports. Throughout his career, he has interviewed top athletes including Gareth Southgate, Luke Littler, Tom Aspinall and Jenson Button.

X

@benmcc14

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

16 hours ago
19 hours ago
23 hours ago
  • Andrea Diodato/NurPhoto via Getty Images
    16 hours ago

    F1 title odds slashed following Ferrari Bahrain pre-season test lap times

    The bookies have had their say on Charles Leclerc and Lewis Hamilton's title chances.

    F1
  • Mark Sutton - Formula 1/Formula 1 via Getty Images
    19 hours ago

    F1 driver makes history smashing record on final day of testing

    The Formula One star impressed with a record-breaking performance at the Bahrain International Circuit.

    F1
  • Getty
    19 hours ago

    Final lap times in full as F1 testing concludes in Bahrain

    Testing ahead of the 2026 Formula 1 season has now concluded.

    F1
  • Getty
    23 hours ago

    F1 boss issues statement on Max Verstappen's future as official meeting held

    Max Verstappen's Formula 1 future is the talk of the town again.

    F1
  • Christian Horner and Jos Verstappen 'in explosive row' days before Red Bull sacking
  • Max Verstappen reveals his true role in Christian Horner Red Bull sacking following 'feud' rumours
  • Christian Horner 'makes decision' on Liam Lawson after Red Bull 'sack' warning
  • Red Bull boss Oliver Mintzlaff dropped huge Max Verstappen future hint before Christian Horner sacking