To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK

Sonny Bill Williams Says He Will 'Definitely' Fight Paul Gallen

Stewart Perrie

Published 
| Last updated 

Sonny Bill Williams Says He Will 'Definitely' Fight Paul Gallen

Featured Image Credit: Sonny Bill Williams/Paul Gallen/Instagram

Sonny Bill Williams has declared he's still keen to fight Paul Gallen.

The bout has been talked about for years and never materialised.

Gallen even appeared to be skeptical about it coming to fruition and drew a line in the sand for the former All Blacks star last year.

After he defeated Darcy Lussick in December, he said: "Unless it happens by the middle of next year, it won't happen."

He added: "The ball is in his court. I've said for years let's do it but there's going to come a time where I say 'no more' and I bet you that's when he says 'let's do it'."

But Sonny has confirmed he definitely wants to step into the ring with Gallen, however he shouldn't hold his breath for the starting bell.

According to 9News, Williams said: "The plan is to do this [boxing] for 24 months and see where it takes me.

"I know what your next question will be - is Paul Gallen a part of that? And definitely [yes].

"But we'll have to see how Wednesday night goes, and after a great victory then we'll work on what's next.

"But at the moment I'm where my feet are."

Williams is is booked in to battle former AFL legend Barry Hall tomorrow (March 23) at Sydney's ICC Exhibition Centre.

Gallen has already fought Hall back in 2019 and it was declared a draw, and a disappointing one at that.

The NRL legend has previously stated that he doesn't plan on fighting after 2022 is done and dusted so Sonny might miss his chance.

Gallen has a three-fight contract for 2022 and it's unclear who he will be fighting. However, 9News states Aussie UFC star Robert Whittaker 'has been floated as a potential opponent'.

Once those three fights are done, Gallen could hang up the gloves for good.

At the No Limit Boxing 2022 launch last month, Paul said it's tough to keep taking the hits at his age.

“I’m looking forward to finishing off my career as an athlete altogether in 2022,” he explained.

“I’m 40 years of age now so I haven’t got a lot left in me but a couple of fights this year will be good.”

At the launch, Sam Burgess' name was also thrown into contention for a fight but Gallen used his time to call out Sonny Bill Williams.

“The big one, the only fight anyone wants to see is Sonny Bill - but he’s been running for 10 years and I think he’s going to keep running," he said.

“Nothing in the pipeline at this stage but I’m sure as soon as the NRL season finishes a couple of boys will put their hands up, so that’ll be good."

Topics: Australia, Rugby League

Stewart Perrie
More like this

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Wrestling

WWE Tough Enough winner Sara Lee dies aged 30

4 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Cristiano Ronaldo branded 'useless' and 'finished' by Man United fans after shocking miss against Omonia

7 hours ago