sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Liverpool 'reach agreement' over first transfer of summer window
Home>Football>Transfer News
Published 19:04 22 May 2026 GMT+1

Liverpool 'reach agreement' over first transfer of summer window

The Reds are closing in on their first summer signing before the final weekend of the Premier League season.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Liverpool have reached an agreement over their first signing of the summer transfer window, it has been reported.

The Reds take on Brentford at Anfield in their final game of the 2025/26 Premier League season on Sunday.

A point will guarantee that Arne Slot's side will qualify for next season's Champions League.

They are currently in fifth place, but will leapfrog Aston Villa if they win and Villa lose away to Manchester City.

Advert

Five teams from the Premier League will secure Champions League football via league position due to England's UEFA co-efficient ranking.

Regardless of their finishing position, it has been a disappointing second season in charge for Slot.

David Ornstein told NBC earlier this month that Liverpool were planning to keep the Dutchman in charge for next season, despite their Premier League struggles and failure to win a trophy this term.

READ NEXT: Liverpool set for behind-the-scenes changes as transfer plans made to support Alexander Isak

Work has already begun on securing key transfer targets - and one deal is already over the line.

According to journalist Pipe Sierra, Liverpool have reached an agreement to sign midfielder Samuel Martinez from Colombian side Atletico Nacional.

The deal is said to be worth $1 million (around £750,000).

The Colombia youth international, who plays in attacking midfield but can also operate in deeper roles, has been linked with a host of other European giants including Arsenal, Borussia Dortmund and Atletico Madrid.

But Sierra reports that the Reds have fended off interest from Dortmund to land 17-year-old Martinez.

They are closing in on an agreement that would see the Colombian join Liverpool in 2027, as per FIFA regulations for players under the age of 18.

Martinez celebrates his 18th birthday in April, so would officially move to Anfield next summer on a reported five-year contract.

He played at the recent South American U17 Championships, which Colombia won for the second time.

Samuel Martinez (left) in action at the U17 World Cup (Image: Getty)
Samuel Martinez (left) in action at the U17 World Cup (Image: Getty)

Liverpool have already secured a signing ahead of next season, with Jeremy Jacquet joining from Ligue 1 side Rennes for £60 million.

The deal was agreed on transfer deadline day in January, with Jacquet having spent the remainder of the season since at Rennes.

However, he suffered a fractured shoulder in February which required surgery.

While the injury ended his season prematurely, he is expected to be fit in time to join up for pre-season with Liverpool at the beginning of July.

Who else could Liverpool sign this summer?

During his update on Slot's future, Ornstein revealed that the Reds are prioritising the signing of two wingers this summer.

Last year, Liverpool allowed Luis Diaz to join Bayern Munich - with the Colombian going on to be of European football's top performers this season - and didn't directly replace him.

Mohamed Salah will leave the club by mutual consent after Liverpool's final game of the season, while there is also speculation over the rarely-used Federico Chiesa's future.

Rio Ngumoha has shown promising signs during his limited game time this season, and is part of England's pre-World Cup training camp, but doesn't turn 18 himself until August.

READ MORE: Three uncapped England players will travel with World Cup squad despite not being picked

Liverpool have been linked with a move for RB Leipzig star Yan Diomande, who has scored 12 goals and registered eight assists during his debut Bundesliga season.

Yan Diomande is a transfer target for Liverpool this summer (Image: Getty)
Yan Diomande is a transfer target for Liverpool this summer (Image: Getty)

But BILD reporter Christian Falk claims that the 19-year-old is also a long-term target for Bayern Munich - and Leipzig are said to have insisted that they will not sell Diomande this summer.

He is set to go to the World Cup with Ivory Coast, which will give Liverpool a chance to see more of him in action.

"If he were instead to sign a new contract, then this could be a big chance for Bayern to go again for him [next summer]," Falk wrote on his website, CF Bayern Insider.

"One thing is clear: he's the absolute dream signing for Bayern Munich, as they expect he's going to become really, really good.

"If he's on the German market, it's always easier for Bayern to sign him. That would become a different case if he were to sign for a Premier League club."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Liverpool, Premier League, Transfers

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
5 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Man City told potential date for long-awaited 115 charges verdict ahead of Pep Guardiola's exit

    Pep Guardiola's departure from Manchester City comes as the gavel bangs to deliver the verdict on Man City's 115 charges

    Football
  • Hayters
    an hour ago

    Roberto De Zerbi gives his take on Cristian Romero missing Tottenham's final game of the season

    Romero will watch boyhood club Belgrano take on River Plate instead of Sunday's game in North London.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    7 players Thomas Tuchel hasn't included in England World Cup squad who should feel hard done by

    Tuchel might regret some of his decisions.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Marcus Rashford forced to release statement addressing controversial post minutes after England call-up

    The freshly-recalled winger had to release a statement defending his former club after he snubbed them in a celebratory post

    Football
  • Man Utd confirm first transfer of summer window during Nottingham Forest win
  • Liverpool prepared to kick unthinkable player out of club and replace him this summer
  • Liverpool set for behind-the-scenes changes as transfer plans made to support Alexander Isak
  • Real Madrid Immediately 'Reach Agreement' on Huge Transfer After Liverpool Loss