
Manchester United are close to signing midfielder Carlos Baleba from Brighton and Hove Albion after a year-long transfer pursuit - and two more players could follow.
The Athletic's David Ornstein reported on Wednesday that the two clubs were closing in on an agreement for the Cameroon star to move to Old Trafford.
United's opening bid totalling £65 million was believed to be marginally below Brighton's asking price.
The deal is therefore not yet done, but Baleba appears set to join fellow new arrivals Andrey Santos and Youri Tielemans at Old Trafford as part of United's midfield rebuild.
Advert
A move for the 22-year-old, though, will not end United's summer transfer business, with the club keen to sign at least a new left-back before the September 1 deadline.
And according to journalist Ben Jacobs, United have been offered two left-backs as they look to add competition for Luke Shaw following Tyrell Malacia's exit.
Among them is not Barcelona's Alejandro Balde, with Fabrizio Romano reporting on Thursday that United had made contact with the Spain international's representatives over a potential move to Old Trafford.
Man Utd 'offered' two new signings before summer transfer deadline
Instead, United are said to have been offered RB Leipzig's David Raum and Racing Santander's Jorge Salinas, who they have been extensively linked with this summer in both instances.
Raum, 28, is Leipzig's captain and is said to have already agreed to enter talks with United if a bid is made to the German club.
Salinas, meanwhile, is 19 years of age and played a key role in Spain's successful U19 World Cup campaign during the summer.
Spanish outlet Sport reported earlier this month that he impressed United's scouts at the tournament, with the club said to be 'pleasantly surprised' by his performances.
It is claimed that United believe Salinas is ready to join the first team immediately under Michael Carrick, and would therefore not need to be loaned out.
Racing Santander have just been promoted back to La Liga and will play in the top flight for the first time since 2012, but now face the possibility of losing one of their top stars after their campaign has already kicked off.
United's first Premier League fixture of the new season takes place on Saturday lunchtime, with Carrick's side travelling to the MKM Stadium to take on newly-promoted Hull City.
They face another promoted side in Ipswich Town to kick off their campaign at Old Trafford next season, before matches against Everton (away), Manchester City (home) and Fulham (away) rounds out the first block of fixtures before September's lengthy international break.
Topics: Michael Carrick, Man Utd, Premier League, Transfer News