There was an attempt to reunite Roy Keane and Alfie Haaland ahead of Sunday's Manchester derby, but plans to orchestrate a handshake between the pair failed to materialise, according to reports.
Keane was quite rightly sent off for his actions, given an immediate three-match ban and then a further five-match ban when comments in his 2002 autobiography suggested the foul had been a premeditated act of vengeance.
Haaland, who reportedly considered legal action in the aftermath of Keane's autobiography, eventually retired through injury in 2003 and since, the pair have yet to settle their differences.
21 years after Roy Keane horrible tackle on Alfie Haaland, they meet again 🍿🍿 pic.twitter.com/VdYeDU3deO— All Sportz 🏀⚽ (@Allsportztv) October 2, 2022
That being said, a TV station tried their best to reunite both men at the Etihad on Sunday afternoon ahead of kick-off, according to Manchester Evening News journalist Samuel Luckhurst.
"A broadcaster has unsuccessfully attempted to reunite them today," Luckhurst wrote.
Roy Keane just in front of the centre circle and Alfie Haaland is about 25 yards away pitchside. A broadcaster has unsuccessfully attempted to reunite them today. #MCIMUN— Samuel Luckhurst (@samuelluckhurst) October 2, 2022
Keane was joined by Gary Neville and Micah Richards on punditry duty, while Alfie Haaland was pictured alongside former United defender Jaap Stam around 15 yards down the touchline.
That reunion, however, never happened as footage emerged of Haaland's interview with @JanAageFjortoft on social media.
Roy Keane and Alfie Haaland sharing a touchline at the Etihad. Closest they’ve been for over 20 years… pic.twitter.com/uPJXu2jZvZ— Mark Ogden (@MarkOgden_) October 2, 2022
Last year, while talking about the infamous incident at Old Trafford, Keane told Micah Richards that he did "go to hurt players" but he'd never apologise for that, because other players would regularly try to hurt him.
The former Manchester United and Celtic midfielder also noted that he never, ever went out to injure an opponent after Richards asked Keane if he had any regrets from his playing days.
"Can I tell you something? I have never regretted anything I have done on a football pitch; never," said Keane. "Listen, I have been sent off and I've let my team down."
Richards jumped in to ask about the Haaland challenge and Keane gave his explanation. "To me, I was in battle with people, I was in the middle of the park," he said.
Featured Image Credit: Twitter - @MarkOgden_/@JanAageFjortoft
- It’s been claimed that Roy Keane changes his personality when away from the cameras
- Paul Ince Claims Roy Keane Has Ruined Manchester United's Chances Of Signing Erling Haaland
- Roy Keane continues to defend Cristiano Ronaldo despite bitter ending to Man United career
- 'Drive me mad!' - Roy Keane opens up on bizarre stance Sir Alex Ferguson took at Man United