Mason Greenwood charged with attempted rape the Crown Prosecution Service confirm
| Last updated
Mason Greenwood has been charged with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
Earlier this year, Greenwood was arrested on suspicion of rape and assault after images and videos were posted online, and later for suspicion of sexual assault.
The striker has been suspended by Manchester United since and has not trained or appeared for the club ever since, with the 21-year-old's final appearance coming on January 22nd, before the arrest.
On Saturday morning, it was reported that the former England international had been arrested for a third time, having broken the conditions of his bail.
Now the Crown Prosecution Services have confirmed that the footballer has been charged.
Speaking about the charges Janet Potter, the deputy chief crown prosecutor for CPS North West, said: “The Crown Prosecution Service has today authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Mason Greenwood, 21, with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
“All three counts relate to the same complainant.
“Specialist rape prosecutors from CPS North West’s complex casework unit authorised the charges following a review of a file of evidence received from Greater Manchester Police.
“The defendant’s first court appearance will take place on October 17 at Greater Manchester Magistrates’ Court.
“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against the defendant are active and that he has a right to a fair trial.
“It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice those proceedings.”
#Breaking Footballer Mason Greenwood has been charged with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm, the Crown Prosecution Service said pic.twitter.com/hLJZSUp8uJ— PA Media (@PA) October 15, 2022
Greenwood's initial bail was set to expire in April, but it was extended in June following a court hearing.
A spokesman later confirmed no further updates would be provided until the suspect was charged or released with no action taken.
The Bradford born player came through the academy at Old Trafford after signing for the club at just six-years-old, and worked his way through the age group teams.
He made his debut for the club in the senior team in their Champions League comeback victory over Paris Saint-Germain in 2019, as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side won 3-1.
He scored his first goal for the club in a Europa League game the following season, in Kazakhstan against Astana, as he began becoming a first team regular.
Greenwood has played 129 games, scoring 35 goals, during his time with United, before his suspension in January.
The forward also played once for England but lost his place in Gareth Southgate's squad in 2020 after he was involved in an incident in a hotel in Iceland, despite strict Covid rules.
Featured Image Credit: Alamy
Topics: Mason Greenwood, Manchester United, Premier League