Man Utd 'supportive' of Mason Greenwood training plan ahead of return decision
| Last updated
Manchester United are 'supportive' of Mason Greenwood's private training sessions and will not wait for the club's ownership situation to be resolved before making a decision over his future, it has been claimed.
Charges of attempted rape, assault and coercive control against the 21-year-old were dropped in February 2023 after key witnesses withdrew their involvement in the case and new material came to light during a police investigation.
But he is yet to return to United, with the club conducting an internal investigation before making a final decision over his future.
United provided an update earlier this month by confirming that Greenwood had been retained by the club ahead of the 2023/24 season, pending the outcome of the investigation.
Pictures published by The Sun on Friday showed Greenwood undergoing a private training session at a public sports centre ahead of a potential return to competitive football.
The Telegraph claim United are 'supportive of Greenwood training in such a capacity to keep himself physically and mentally healthy'.
Sources have told the newspaper that a decision on Greenwood's future is not linked to the protracted takeover saga at Old Trafford, which is now into its seventh month.
The decision 'will be made irrespective of the outcome of the "strategic review" announced back in November, when the Glazers first indicated their willingness to sell the club', the report added.
Greenwood is under contract at Old Trafford until 2025 and remains on full pay while the club conducts its internal investigation.
In a recent interview with The Times, United manager Erik ten Hag refused to rule out Greenwood returning to the first-team squad but said the decision was not his to make.
Following up to previous answer he had given on easing the goal-scoring burden on Marcus Rashford, Ten Hag said that Greenwood had "shown in the past that he is capable of doing that (scoring as a forward for United)".
Greenwood released a short statement after the charges against him were dropped, which made no mention of his football career and plans for the future.
"I am relieved that this matter is now over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support," read the statement.
"There will be no further comment at this time."
Greenwood has not played for United in 18 months, with his last appearance for the club coming against West Ham on January 22, 2022.