sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Mason Greenwood retained by Manchester United ahead of 2023/24 season
Home>Football
Published 13:47 16 Jun 2023 GMT+1

Mason Greenwood retained by Manchester United ahead of 2023/24 season

Greenwood named on Manchester United's retained list for the upcoming season.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Mason Greenwood has been retained by Manchester United ahead of the 2023/24 season.

Greenwood remains suspended by United and has not trained with the first team or been available to play since he was arrested in January 2022.

Charges of attempted rape, assault and coercive control against the 21-year-old were dropped in February 2023 after key witnesses withdrew their involvement in the case and new material came to light during a police investigation.

But he is yet to return to United, with the club conducting an internal investigation before making a final decision over his future.

It has led to speculation over whether Greenwood will be allowed back or if the club is planning to release, loan or sell him this summer.

United provided an update on Friday by confirming that Greenwood had been retained by the club ahead of the new season.

United released a list of players retained for the 2023-24 campaign on the club's website, which confirmed that several players including Phil Jones and Axel Tuanzebe will leave this summer at the end of their contracts.

The club also confirmed that contract talks remain ongoing with goalkeeper David de Gea, whose current deal expires at the end of the month.

Greenwood was named on the retained list as part of Section A - of players aged under 24 as of June 2023.

The forward is under contract at Old Trafford until 2025 and remains on full pay while the club conducts its internal investigation.

In a recent interview with The Times, United manager Erik ten Hag refused to rule out Greenwood returning to the first-team squad but said the decision was not his to make.

Following up to previous answer he had given on easing the goal-scoring burden on Marcus Rashford, Ten Hag said that Greenwood had "shown in the past that he is capable of doing that (scoring as a forward for United)".

Greenwood released a short statement after the charges against him were dropped, which made no mention of his football career and plans for the future.

"I am relieved that this matter is now over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support," read the statement.

"There will be no further comment at this time."

Greenwood has not played for United in 18 months, with his last appearance for the club coming against West Ham on January 22, 2022.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Mason Greenwood, Football, Premier League, Transfers, Manchester United

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Premier League final day to make history ahead of new kit rule impacting every team

    The rule will come into play at the start of the 2026/27 Premier League campaign.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    'You didn't ask?' - Pep Guardiola learned one manager refused involvement in special montage video

    Man City boss Pep Guardiola assumed that the manager had not been asked by Sky Sports but he had refused.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    'I have to earn it...' - Former Premier League star turns down last-minute World Cup call-up

    "I didn't feel legitimate playing in this World Cup."

    Football
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    Bernardo Silva has next club lined up after leaving Man City

    The Manchester City captain has two clubs desperate to sign him on a free transfer.

    Football
  • Juventus set to offer Mason Greenwood 'fresh start' after Man Utd suspension
  • Manchester United receive offers for Mason Greenwood
  • BREAKING: Charges against Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood dropped
  • New details of Man United's Mason Greenwood investigation emerge