Man Utd 'decide to loan Mason Greenwood' with Italian club in talks over swap deal
| Last updated
Manchester United have decided to loan Mason Greenwood with Erik ten Hag reluctant to sell the striker, it has been claimed.
Greater Manchester Police announced on February 2 that the 21-year-old no longer faces criminal proceedings.
Greenwood had been charged with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour and assault.
But all charges against him were dropped after key witnesses withdrew their involvement in the case and new material came to light during the police investigation.
Greenwood remains suspended by United while the club continues an internal investigation into his behaviour before making a final decision over his future.
He has not trained with the first team or been available to play since he was first arrested in January 2022 and was not present on Thursday when Ten Hag's squad returned to Carrington to begin their pre-season training.
While United are yet to announce their decision, the Manchester Evening News claim the club is planning to loan Greenwood out next season with Ten Hag 'reluctant' to sell the player.
Atalanta are interested in signing the former England international on loan and 'extensive talks' have been held between officials from the Italian club and United football director John Murtough.
A possible swap deal that would see United sign striker Rasmus Hojlund from Atalanta and Greenwood sent on loan to the Serie A club has been discussed.
United are in the market for a new No 9 and reports earlier this week claimed the club is ready to bid for Denmark international Hojlund.
The MEN report adds that Roma manager Jose Mourinho is 'not interested in signing Greenwood', having given him his first experience of senior football when he named the forward in United's pre-season tour squad in 2018.
Greenwood is contracted to United until 2025, with the option of an additional year, and Ten Hag has refused to rule out the player returning to the squad at some point.
In a recent interview with The Times, Ten Hag said that Greenwood had "showed in the past that he is capable of doing that [centre forward role]" but said a decision over his future would be made by the club.
A club source has told the MEN that they are focused on settling on an outcome over Greenwood's future before next season begins, with United taking on Wolves in their opening Premier League match on August 14.
Greenwood was spotted training by himself earlier this month in an effort to maintain his fitness levels ahead of possible return to professional football.
The forward released a short statement after the charges against him were dropped, which made no mention of his football career and plans for the future.
"I am relieved that this matter is now over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support," read the statement.
"There will be no further comment at this time."
Greenwood has not played for United in 18 months, with his last appearance for the club coming against West Ham on January 22, 2022.