sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Manchester United 'leaning towards' Mason Greenwood decision as deadline set
Home>Football
Published 16:23 30 Jun 2023 GMT+1

Manchester United 'leaning towards' Mason Greenwood decision as deadline set

They've set a deadline for a final decision to be made.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Manchester United look set to make a decision over Mason Greenwood's future before the start of the new season.

Greater Manchester Police announced on February 2 that Greenwood no longer faces criminal proceedings.

The 21-year-old had been charged with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour and assault.

But all charges against him were dropped after key witnesses withdrew their involvement in the case and new material came to light during the police investigation.

Advert

Greenwood remains suspended by United and has not trained with the first team or been available to play since he was first arrested in January 2022.

He remains on full pay while the club conducts an internal investigation into his behaviour before making a final decision over his future.

United provided an update earlier this month by confirming that Greenwood had been retained by the club ahead of the 2023/24 season, pending the outcome of the investigation.

He was later pictured in a private training session at a public sports centre ahead of a potential return to competitive football.

United 'leaning towards' Greenwood decision

Greenwood is contracted to United until 2025, with the option of an additional year, and manager Erik ten Hag has refused to rule out him returning to the squad.

In an interview with The Times, Ten Hag said that Greenwood had "showed in the past that he is capable of doing that [centre forward role]" but said a decision over his future would be made by the club.

The Manchester Evening News now claim United are 'leaning towards' loaning Greenwood with Ten Hag against selling the forward, pending the outcome of the investigation.

It comes after reported interest in the England international from clubs in Italy and Turkey.

The report adds that a club source insists they are focused on 'settling on an outcome before next season begins'.

United face Wolves in their opening Premier League game on August 14.

Greenwood released a short statement after the charges against him were dropped, which made no mention of his football career and plans for the future.

"I am relieved that this matter is now over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support," read the statement.

"There will be no further comment at this time."

Greenwood has not played for United in 18 months, with his last appearance for the club coming against West Ham on January 22, 2022.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Manchester United, Mason Greenwood, Football, Premier League, Transfers

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Southampton EXPELLED from Championship play-offs as Middlesbrough reinstated

    Middlesbrough will now face Hull City in the play-off final on Saturday, May 23.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Kylian Mbappe linked with shock Premier League move after Real Madrid fallout

    The petition to uplift Kylian Mbappe seems to be working, as an old fairy godmother has come to his rescue

    Football
  • Getty & Manchester City
    3 hours ago

    How Man City could line up under Enzo Maresca with dream signing and key Pep Guardiola man dropped

    Enzo Maresca is said to have agreed a three-year deal to replace Pep Guardiola at Manchester City.

    Football
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    'We approached him' - Roberto Martinez reveals Premier League star refused Portugal call-up ahead of World Cup

    Roberto Martinez has revealed that the proposal to the player was unsuccessful.

    Football
  • Mason Greenwood retained by Manchester United ahead of 2023/24 season
  • Manchester United release statement after charges dropped against Mason Greenwood
  • Manchester United's Mason Greenwood released on bail after being charged with attempted rape
  • BBC journalist provides Mason Greenwood update as Man Utd boss Erik ten Hag breaks silence