Manchester United release statement after charges dropped against Mason Greenwood
| Last updated
Manchester United have released a public statement after charges of attempted rape, assault and coercive control were dropped against Mason Greenwood.
Greenwood, 21, was arrested at his home in January amid a series of allegations against the footballer, with a number of images and videos posted on social media.
He was suspended by Manchester United soon after, with the club confirming he would not "return to training or play matches until further notice".
After being released on bail, he was later charged with attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
Greenwood was due to stand trial in November but it was announced on Thursday by Greater Manchester Police (GMP) that all charges against him had been dropped.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the charges were discontinued after key witnesses withdrew their involvement in the case and new material came to light.
Manchester United have now released a public statement addressing the CPS' decision but stopped short of confirming if Greenwood remained suspended.
"Manchester United notes the decision of the Crown Prosecution Service that all charges against Mason Greenwood have been dropped," read the statement, as reported by Manchester Evening News journalist Samuel Luckhurst.
"The club will now conduct its own process before determining next steps."
Luckhurst went on to confirm that Greenwood would "not return to training or play for #mufc as club conducts their investigation".
Greenwood released his own statement shortly afterwards.
"I am relieved that this matter is now over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support," read the statement, as reported by The Sun.
"There will be no further comment at this time."
It followed a GMP statement earlier in the day which confirmed that Greenwood would no longer be facing criminal proceedings.
"Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this," said GMP’s head of public protection, chief superintendent Michaela Kerr.
"The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.
"Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail.
"I would, however, like to use this opportunity to reiterate GMP's commitment to investigating allegations of violence against women and girls and supporting those affected, regardless of their circumstances, throughout what can be a hard and upsetting time for them.
"An ever-increasing number of officers are receiving specialist training and the force is more consistently utilising tools, available via the criminal justice system, to keep people safe and care for victims.
"If you feel you are or might be a victim, please don't let this case put you off asking for help."
Featured Image Credit: Alamy
Topics: Manchester United, Mason Greenwood, Football, Premier League