
Manchester United are closing in on the signing of long-term Brighton target Carlos Baleba after David Ornstein dropped an unexpected update on Wednesday morning.
A relatively slow summer transfer window has seen Michael Carrick make just three additions to a squad expected to compete across all fronts this season.
Youri Tielemans and Andrey Santos were both snapped up for a combined £85 million from Aston Villa and Chelsea, respectively, while Karl Darlow joined on a free transfer from Leeds United as a backup goalkeeper.
Carrick admitted in a recent interview that he wanted to add two or three more players to his squad before the September 1 deadline, including a third midfielder.
Advert
Now, it appears the Red Devils are edging closer to adding more depth to their engine room after David Ornstein revealed on Wednesday that the 13-time Premier League champions are closing in on a deal for Brighton's Carlos Baleba.
United have made an offer of £60 million plus £5 million in add-ons for the Cameroon international, though that is felt to be below what the Seagulls are willing to sell him for.
Ornstein adds that 'amicable talks' continue with all parties, as it appears an agreement is edging closer, with the 22-year-old set to become their fourth signing of the summer.
Baleba is a long-term target for United, who tried to sign him last summer, but Brighton's eye-watering £100m asking price scuppered any chances of agreeing a deal.
The midfield metronome has always been keen on a switch to Old Trafford, and with his contract expiring in June 2028, it appears the Seagulls are willing to cash in on him before his value potentially drops.
Pascal Gross says what Man United will get with Carlos Baleba
Following Manuel Ugarte's long-term injury and Casemiro's exit earlier this summer, the void of a defensive midfielder left a gaping hole in their engine room.
READ NEXT: Gavi makes decision on joining Man Utd after £35m asking price met
United added more creativity with the addition of Tielemans, while Santos will provide athleticism and ball-carrying attributes in abundance.
However, Carrick was lacking a player who could protect his defence and act as a shield. Baleba's potential arrival would fix that problem and give the Red Devils a perfect blend of midfield options.
Known for his incredible ball-winning attributes and aggressiveness off the ball, Baleba ranked in the top 16 per cent of Premier League players last term for recoveries per 90, as well as the top 13 per cent for interceptions.
The Cameroon star would certainly add more steel to the middle of the park and make United less prone to being caught on the counter-attack, with teammate Pascal Gross waxing lyrical over his talents without the ball.
“I think Carlos is so talented, he gives so much to the team,” Gross said in April. “I always think when he's in good positions he can show his physicality. When he's not in good positions, sometimes you can't affect it anymore.
“So if he plays his position really, really smart, no one can really outplay him or win duels against him. And I think if he concentrates on that and shows his ability then after, on the ball or driving with the ball, it's frightening what he can do."
Topics: Premier League, Transfer News, Football