sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Benfica's head coach tells Liverpool what they must do to sign Fernandez as 'Chelsea deal collapses'
Home>Football
Updated 16:08 5 Jan 2023 GMTPublished 15:09 5 Jan 2023 GMT

Benfica's head coach tells Liverpool what they must do to sign Fernandez as 'Chelsea deal collapses'

Benfica boss Roger Schmidt has told Liverpool what to do to sign Enzo Fernandez after reports that talks with Chelsea have 'collapsed'.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Benfica manager Roger Schmidt has told Liverpool what they must do to sign midfielder Enzo Fernandez following fresh reports that talks over a move to Chelsea have 'collapsed'.

Fernandez, who lifted the World Cup with Argentina last month, has been heavily linked with Liverpool in recent months, with reports from Portuguese outlet Record going as far as claiming that a 'pre-agreement' had been reached between the Reds and the 21-year-old midfielder.

But sources from Benfica, as per 90min, declared those reports 'premature', and Chelsea have moved ahead in the race over the past week.

However, it was revealed on Wednesday that the Blues had not reached an agreement to sign Fernandez, despite talks between the two clubs.

Advert

South American journalist @CLMerlo claimed that talks broke down because Chelsea did not offer the player's release clause of €120 million. It was later reported by Record that they offered €90 million, plus Hakim Ziyech going the other way on a permanent deal and youngsters David Datro Fofana and Andrey Santos on loan.

Metro claimed last week that there had been 'informal contact' with the club and Fernandez, with the Benfica star agreeing to join if a deal could be reached with Benfica.

But talks are now said to have 'collapsed' - and Benfica boss Schmidt has explained what Liverpool must do if they want to step in and reignite their interest in the player.

Benfica boss explains Liverpool sale conditions

Speaking in a press conference posted by Romano, a visibly angry Schmidt reiterated Benfica's stance after Chelsea's recent bid.

He said: "There is a club who want our player. They know we don't want to sell the player. They tried to get the player on their side, and they know that they can only get this player when they pay the clause.

"It's a very clear situation. What the club is doing, who wants to buy Enzo, is disrespectful against all of us, against Benfica. And I cannot accept what they are doing.

"To make the player crazy, then to pretend they can pay the clause, then later they want to negotiate, is not what I understand to be a good relationship between clubs who want to discuss about the player."

Fernandez's release clause stands at €120 million, meaning Liverpool or Chelsea must pay that clause in full if they want the 21-year-old, who won the FIFA Young Player award at the World Cup, to sign for them.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Enzo Fernandez, Chelsea, Liverpool, Benfica, Premier League, Argentina, Football World Cup, Transfers

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Middlesbrough lawyer speaks out after Southampton expelled from Championship play-offs

    Southampton have been kicked out of this season's EFL play-offs, with Middlesbrough reinstated in their place to take on Hull in the final.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Hull City's response to finding out Southampton have been thrown out of play-offs

    Hull City's response to discovering Southampton have been thrown out of the Championship playoffs meaning they will now face Middlesbrough.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Forgotten Aston Villa player on verge of football history after Europa League final win

    Aston Villa defeated Freiburg 3-0 to win the Europa League final.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Southampton lose appeal against EFL play-off expulsion as club issue 'extremely disappointing' statement

    Southampton were initially expelled from the EFL Championship play-off final against Hull City.

    Football
  • Enzo Fernandez 'agrees' sensational transfer to leave Chelsea despite having seven years left on his current deal
  • Thierry Henry tells Newcastle what they must do with Alexander Isak as Eddie Howe issues update
  • Chelsea player drops bombshell on his future minutes after PSG loss
  • Liam Rosenior Creates Chelsea History With West Ham Comeback