sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Barcelona fans left outraged over 'edited' footage as controversial VAR audio emerges after Real Madrid win
Home>Football>La Liga>FC Barcelona
Published 08:04 12 May 2025 GMT+1

Barcelona fans left outraged over 'edited' footage as controversial VAR audio emerges after Real Madrid win

Sunday's El Clasico ended 4-3 to Barcelona, who went seven points clear of Real Madrid at the top of La Liga.

Luke Davies

Luke Davies

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Barcelona fans were left outraged with match officials on Sunday despite their 4-3 win against Real Madrid, which saw them go seven points clear at the top of La Liga.

Real Madrid took a two-goal lead inside 14 minutes thanks to a Kylian Mbappe brace, which stunned Barcelona fans inside the Estadi de Montjuïc.

However, Hansi Flick’s side are not one to give up, and pulled a goal back through Eric Garcia on 19 minutes before Lamine Yamal levelled the scores with a stunning curled strike on 32 minutes.

And just two minutes later, the home side were ahead via Raphinha before the Brazilian put Barca two goals clear with his second of the match on 45 minutes.

Advert

Mbappe tried to encourage a Madrid comeback with a strike on 70 minutes, which saw him come away with a hat-trick, but Barca stood firm and thought they had a fifth goal through Fermin Lopez, before the strike was ruled out for handball.

Referee Alejandro Hernandez Hernandez was encouraged to look at the pitch-side monitor by Juan Martínez Munuera in the VOR (Video Operations Room) as reported by Mundo Deportivo.

And issues have stemmed surrounding a comment made during the audio.

In the audio released by RFEF, Martínez Munuera said: “Listen to me, Alex, we’ve just detected a handball, okay? Please come take a look.”

Then an ‘unknown voice’ added: “Given the height—thank goodness. Yes, yes, totally.”

🗣️ AUDIO REVISIÓN VAR

🗓️ Jornada 35 | Primera División

⚽️ @FCBarcelona_es 🆚 @realmadrid | 96'#ArbitrajeRFEF | @CTARFEF pic.twitter.com/5SQztI5Apn

— RFEF (@rfef) May 11, 2025


To which Hernández Hernández replied: “Okay, perfect. Let’s continue. It hits his hand, yes. The ball’s going out. Now give me a wide angle so I can see the entire action and how it ends. Okay, perfect. The hand is clearly raised. I’m going to disallow the goal.”

However, MD reports that the “thank goodness” part was seemingly edited out of the video posted by the RFEF on social media.

Fans were quick to have their say on social media.

One said: "I'm beginning to lose trust in the VAR system in Spain. What a disgrace… how can you not accept a penalty, then disallow a goal with the same incident?"

Another added: "You have to explain to me how a goal can be disallowed for a handball prior to Valverde's control, which Gavi later recovered and then scored. If instead of one play and one possession, it had been five, would it also be disallowed because it was a handball a while ago?"

While a third explained: " 'Thank goodness' a disgrace."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Barcelona, Real Madrid, La Liga, Football, VAR, Champions League

Luke Davies
Luke Davies

Journalist with expertise covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@lukedaviesmedia

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

9 mins ago
16 mins ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty
    9 mins ago

    Harry Kane linked with stunning summer transfer that would make team unbeatable

    England captain Kane is attracting lusty looks from overseas after another prolific season with Bayern Munich

    Football
  • Getty
    16 mins ago

    Liverpool fans think Virgil van Dijk just leaked two more players are leaving this summer

    Liverpool's disappointing 2025-26 season is sure to produce an extensive fallout and key players could be in for the chop

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    What needs to happen for Liverpool to play historic '39th Premier League game'

    Liverpool take on Brentford on the final day of the Premier League season on Saturday.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    World Cup nation respond after being forced to isolate for 21 days ahead of tournament

    The country are currently not allowed to enter the United States after a decision from the White House taskforce.

    Football
  • Kylian Mbappe’s actions as Real Madrid lost La Liga to Barcelona caught everyone’s attention
  • Mega-rich businessman 'ready' to challenge Florentino Perez and win Real Madrid presidential election
  • Kylian Mbappe and Jude Bellingham footage goes viral amid Real Madrid chaos
  • "It was a tough day for me" - Hansi Flick holds back the tears in raw interview after Barcelona win La Liga title