sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Kevin De Bruyne says Belgium won't win the World Cup because they are 'too old' in brutally honest interview
Home>Football
Published 16:07 27 Nov 2022 GMT

Kevin De Bruyne says Belgium won't win the World Cup because they are 'too old' in brutally honest interview

Kevin De Bruyne was brutally honest in his assessments of the Belgium national team this week.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Kevin De Bruyne says Belgium have "no chance" of winning this winter's World Cup because they are "too old".

Earlier this week, Roberto Martinez's side secured a far-from-convincing win over underdogs Canada in their opening Group F game after a first-half finish from Fenerbahce forward Michy Batshuayi.

You could say the Red Devils were lucky to seal all three points on Wednesday, but they struggled in large spells in their second game against Morocco, who exposed Belgium's experienced defence on numerous occasions.

After causing problems for over an hour, late goals from Abdelhamid Sabiri and Zakaria Aboukhlal gave Walid Regragui's side a deserved win at the Al Thumama Stadium in Doha.

Advert

Belgium's squad have been accused of being too old in the past and plenty on social media brought up their age both during and after Sunday afternoon's defeat to Morocco.

In fact, earlier this week, their star player, Kevin De Bruyne, gave a brutally honest assessment of their chances at this winter's World Cup in an interview with The Guardian.

When asked if they could win the tournament, he replied: “No chance, we’re too old."

Later on in the interview, the Manchester City man was asked again about Belgium's chances again. “I think our chance was 2018," he said. "We have a good team, but it is ageing.

"We lost some key players. We have some good new players coming, but they are not at the level other players were in 2018. I see us more as outsiders.”

Imagine admitting, after you'd won your opening World Cup game, that your squad is too old and not good enough to win the tournament.

If Kevin de Bruyne doesn't even believe in this Belgium team, who will? From this display, nobody. #BEL #FIFAWorldCup

— Dominic Booth (@DomBooth19) November 27, 2022

This Belgium squad continues to called the 'Golden Generation' by some, although their lacklustre performances have left much to be desired in recent days.

Eden Hazard, who has been given the captain's armband by manager Roberto Martinez for this winter's tournament, also believes his team had a better chance of lifting the World Cup in 2018.

"To be fair, I think we had a better chance four years ago," he said ahead of their Group F game against Morocco. "The team was better four years ago, but we still have the quality to win games, win competitions.

"We have a few guys who are a bit older now but we have experience, we have the best goalkeeper [Thibaut Courtois] in the world, and like I said before, we have one of the best midfielders in the world right now, we also have good strikers.

"We are a complete team and I think it's just [we need to show] the desire if we want to win, it's just mentality things.

"We have to enjoy moments, play our game, have fun on the pitch, try to win and then we'll see what happens."

Image credit: Alamy
Image credit: Alamy

Belgium's back four against Morocco – Thomas Meunier, Jan Vertonghen, Toby Alderweireld and Timothy Castagne – have a combined age of 135, while the likes of Axel Witsel [33] and Eden Hazard [31] aren't getting any younger.

Thoughts on De Bruyne and Hazard's comments? Are you surprised by Belgium's performances at the World Cup so far?

Let us know in the comments.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Kevin De Bruyne, Belgium, Eden Hazard, Football World Cup, Roberto Martinez

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

25 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    25 mins ago

    Marcus Rashford forced to release statement addressing controversial post minutes after England call-up

    The freshly-recalled winger had to release a statement defending his former club after he snubbed them in a celebratory post

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Thomas Tuchel issues response to Harry Maguire's statement about failing to make England squad

    The England boss didn't hold back in his first comments after announcing the World Cup squad

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Pep Guardiola accepts next job role after confirming Man City exit in emotional statement

    Guardiola's departure was confirmed on Friday.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Three uncapped England players will travel with World Cup squad despite not being picked

    Tuchel has named his 26-man squad, but three extra names will travel to North America.

    Football
  • Belgium announce final World Cup squad and it's the end of the 'Golden Generation'
  • 'We approached him' - Roberto Martinez reveals Premier League star refused Portugal call-up ahead of World Cup
  • Portugal announce final 26-man World Cup squad as two Premier League stars snubbed
  • Kevin De Bruyne Could ‘Cost’ Napoli Huge Sum in Nightmare Scenario