
Thomas Tuchel's reasons for not selecting Harry Maguire for England's World Cup squad have been revealed.
Ahead of the World Cup kicking off in less than three weeks and all 48 nations competing in the tournament have started to confirm their official 26-man squads.
The likes of France, Brazil, Germany and Portugal are among the nations to have announced their squad, with England manager Tuchel set to reveal who he has selected on Friday (May 22) morning.
Ahead of the announcement of the England squad, many of the names expected to make the cut and to miss out have been reported by several outlets.
Advert
Among the biggest names expected to miss out is Manchester United defender Maguire who, despite having one of his best seasons in years, will not be on the plane to North America.
But now, we may know why Tuchel decided against bringing Maguire, who has 66 caps for the Three Lions, with 12 of those coming in the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
As reported by The Times, Tuchel had reservations about Maguire's ego not being able to accept the fact that, if selected, he wouldn't be going to the World Cup as one of England's starting players.
Instead, England's starting centre-back pairing will almost certainly be Manchester City's Marc Guehi and Aston Villa star Ezri Konsa, with John Stones, Jarell Quansah and Dan Burn also believed to be in the squad.
And it appears that Maguire's very public expression of disappointment about being left out of the squad may have, at least to some extent, confirmed Tuchel's concerns.
"I was confident I could of played a major part this summer for my country after the season I’ve had. I’ve been left shocked and gutted by the decision," he said on social media.
"I’ve loved nothing more than putting that shirt on and representing my country over the years. I wish the players, all the best this summer."
Meanwhile Maguire's mum, Zoe, took to social media to air her thoughts, writing: "Absolutely disgusted."
While the United defender's older brother, Joe, who has previously played in non-league for Nuneaton and Boston United, shared similar thoughts.
He wrote: "This might possibly be the worst decision I’ve ever seen in my life. No words."
Which other players are expected to miss out on Thomas Tuchel's England squad?
Maguire is far from the only big name expected not to make the cut for England's World Cup squad, with Tuchel clearly not afraid to make some big calls ahead of his first major tournament as manager.
Manchester City midfielder Phil Foden, Chelsea's Cole Palmer and Real Madrid defender Trent Alexander-Arnold are believed to have been told that they will be left behind this summer following disappointing seasons for their clubs.
Meanwhile Nottingham Forest midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White, who has been one of the Premier League's standout performers in recent months, has also been left out,
Instead, Manchester United midfielder Kobbie Mainoo is set to be included in Tuchel's squad alongside Eberechi Eze, Jarell Quansah, John Stones, Tino Livramento, Ivan Toney, Jordan Henderson, Dan Burn and Noni Madueke.
Aston Villa striker Ollie Watkins has also been selected by Tuchel, while teammates Morgan Rodgers and Konsa are also expected to feature.
Of course, England staples like Jordan Pickford, Harry Kane and Bukayo Saka are all a part of the 26-man squad,
Topics: Football, Harry Maguire, Thomas Tuchel, England, Football World Cup