sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Harry Maguire left 'shocked' by England World Cup snub as Thomas Tuchel 'strongly considers' surprise call up
Home>Football>England
Updated 17:37 21 May 2026 GMT+1Published 16:59 21 May 2026 GMT+1

Harry Maguire left 'shocked' by England World Cup snub as Thomas Tuchel 'strongly considers' surprise call up

Tuchel will name his 26-man England squad on Friday.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A 'shocked' Harry Maguire has been left out of England's World Cup squad and Thomas Tuchel is 'strongly considering' calling up a player who has barely featured this season, according to reports.

Tuchel will name his 26-man squad for the World Cup during an announcement event at Wembley Stadium on Friday morning.

Earlier this month, Tuchel submitted a provisional squad that included Trent Alexander-Arnold, Danny Welbeck, Alex Scott and Levi Colwill, who has made just three appearances for Chelsea this season.

Colwill, who was out for almost 10 months after suffering an anterior cruciate ligament tear in August 2025, has impressed since making a return this month.

Advert

In fact, the 23-year-old has a chance of making the England squad, according to a report from talkSPORT, which claims that Tuchel is 'strongly considering' giving Colwill an opportunity after proving his fitness.

The versatile defender made his long-awaited comeback on May 4, when he came off the bench to feature in Chelsea's 3-1 defeat against Nottingham Forest.

He also took part in their 1-1 draw at Liverpool and was arguably Chelsea's best player on the pitch. Last weekend, he played the full 90 minutes in their FA Cup final defeat against Manchester City.

"With Ezri Konsa and Marc Guehi already guaranteed an England spot, injury permitting, Colwill's inclusion leaves the likes of Harry Maguire and Dan Burn sweating on a spot in Tuchel's squad," the report adds.

Colwill has only played three games for Chelsea this season. Image credit: Getty
Colwill has only played three games for Chelsea this season. Image credit: Getty

On Thursday, it also emerged that Harry Maguire has been excluded from the England squad.

Maguire, who has been one of Manchester United's standout performers since Michael Carrick replaced Ruben Amorim in January, was left in shock after being told he would not be involved this summer.

In a statement to talkSPORT, Maguire said: "I was confident I could have played a major part this summer for my country after the season I’ve had. I’ve been left shocked and gutted by the decision. I wish the players all the best."

READ MORE: Half of England squad could be forced to wear different kit to teammates at World Cup

Thomas Tuchel is facing a number of selection dilemmas ahead of Friday's announcement

A player who has struggled for first-team minutes this season is Manchester City centre-back John Stones.

Stones, who has made 87 caps for the Three Lions, has been limited to just eight appearances in the league this season, with Marc Guehi, Abdukodir Khusanov and Ruben Dias being preferred by Pep Guardiola.

The 31-year-old has previously been identified as one of Tuchel's leadership group alongside Harry Kane and Declan Rice, but question marks over his international future remain ahead of the World Cup.

Trent Alexander-Arnold, meanwhile, was named in Tuchel's provisional squad alongside Colwill, but the Real Madrid man has been overlooked by the German on numerous occasions.

His chances have been boosted by the absence of Ben White, who sustained a significant medial knee ligament injury this month, while Tino Livramento has also been struggling with fitness issues since April.

Harry Maguire does not feature in Tuchel's World Cup plans, according to reports. Image credit: Getty
Harry Maguire does not feature in Tuchel's World Cup plans, according to reports. Image credit: Getty

In terms of the form book, Phil Foden and Cole Palmer continue to lack consistency at club level unlike Morgan Gibbs-White, who has scored 11 league goals for Nottingham Forest since the start of the year.

As mentioned above, England’s squad for the World Cup will be announced on Friday, with an announcement event at Wembley beginning at around 9.45am BST.

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

Topics: Harry Maguire, England, Thomas Tuchel

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Xabi Alonso's response when asked about future of three Chelsea players on live TV

    New Chelsea boss Xabi Alonso discussed the situation of three players during an impromptu interview on live TV.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Man Utd could spend £300m in the summer after securing Champions League football

    It is expected to be a busy summer at Old Trafford.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Arsenal preparing shock bid to sign Man City player amid Pep Guardiola exit uncertainty

    Guardiola is expected to depart Man City at the end of the season following a decade in charge.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Vinnie Jones names Man United star as Premier League's current 'tough' hardman

    Vinnie Jones revealed his definition for a 'hardman' and which current Premier League star fits the criteria.

    Football
  • Eight high-profile players who are set to miss the World Cup through injury
  • Thomas Tuchel Makes Surprise Call-Up After England Player Drops Out
  • Thomas Tuchel Will Hold Talks With England Player After Surprise Snub
  • Thomas Tuchel Could Hand Record-Breaking Championship Star England Call-up