sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Harry Maguire's mum and brother slam Thomas Tuchel decision after England World Cup snub
Home>Football>England
Updated 22:11 21 May 2026 GMT+1Published 22:01 21 May 2026 GMT+1

Harry Maguire's mum and brother slam Thomas Tuchel decision after England World Cup snub

Maguire says he is "shocked" and "gutted" by Tuchel's call.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Harry Maguire's mum says she is "absolutely disgusted" by her son's omission from the 26-man England squad, while his brother has called it "possibly the worst decision I've ever seen in my life".

On Thursday afternoon, Maguire confirmed that he will not take part in this summer's World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

The 33-year-old defender, who has been one of Manchester United's standout performers in recent months, says he was "shocked" and "gutted" by Thomas Tuchel's decision to leave him out of the squad.

"I was confident I could of played a major part this summer for my country after the season I’ve had. I’ve been left shocked and gutted by the decision," he said on social media.

Advert

"I’ve loved nothing more than putting that shirt on and representing my country over the years." added Maguire, who has made 66 caps for his country since 2017. "I wish the players, all the best this summer."

Maguire will not the board the plane this time around. Image credit: Getty
Maguire will not the board the plane this time around. Image credit: Getty

Maguire was rewarded with an England call-up for March’s international friendlies against Uruguay and Japan but Tuchel didn't exactly sound convinced by the centre-back, despite his good form at United.

Speaking back in March, he said: "I see other players I like to start for us, I see other players ahead with a different profile."

"I see Ezri Konsa ahead," added Tuchel. "I see Marc Guehi ahead. It’s no secret. I see Trevoh Chalobah on the level of mobility was slightly ahead of him. Also John Stones, but he had injuries, so he needed to come to camp."

Harry Maguire's mum and brother react to news

Shortly after Maguire confirmed his omission from the England squad, his mum, Zoe, took to social media to vent her frustration. She wrote on X: "Absolutely disgusted."

An hour later, Maguire's older brother, Joe, who has previously played in non-league for Nuneaton and Boston United, made his feelings clear on the decision.

He wrote: "This might possibly be the worst decision I’ve ever seen in my life. No words."

Cole Palmer, Phil Foden and Morgan Gibbs-White have also been left out by Tuchel

Thomas Tuchel will name his 26-man squad for this summer's World Cup during an announcement event at Wembley Stadium on Friday morning, but a series of leaks have emerged that give us a good idea of how he will line-up.

Manchester United midfielder Kobbie Mainoo is set to be included in Tuchel's squad alongside Eberechi Eze, Jarell Quansah, John Stones, Tino Livramento, Ivan Toney, Jordan Henderson, Dan Burn and Noni Madueke.

Aston Villa forward Ollie Watkins has also been selected by Tuchel, according to The Mirror, while teammates Morgan Rodgers and Ezri Konsa are also expected to feature following a superb campaign for Unai Emery's side.

Manchester City midfielder Phil Foden, meanwhile, will miss out on England's 26-man squad for the World Cup alongside Cole Palmer.

Nottingham Forest midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White, who has been one of the Premier League's standout performers in recent months, has also been left out, according to The Telegraph.

His absence has caused a huge amount of reaction on social media, with many criticising Tuchel for his decision to leave one of Europe's most in-form players at home, despite scoring 17 goals this season.

Other names expected to miss out include Jarrod Bowen, Lewis Hall, Luke Shaw, Levi Colwill, Adam Wharton, Fikayo Tomori, Djed Spence and Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

Topics: Harry Maguire, England, FIFA World Cup

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
5 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    A list of players who have been left out of England's World Cup squad by the ruthless Thomas Tuchel

    Tuchel is also being criticised for some of his selections.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Phil Foden and Cole Palmer to be left out of England's 26-man World Cup squad alongside three other big names

    Thomas Tuchel has made some big calls.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Thomas Tuchel makes Kobbie Mainoo decision ahead of squad announcement as Adam Wharton spot 'in doubt'

    The England boss has been cutthroat in his squad, as one midfielder is set to miss out

    Football
  • Getty
    5 hours ago

    Next Southampton manager odds emerge as shock candidate linked with job after emergency meeting

    Tonda Eckert is under pressure to keep his job at Southampton after accepting responsibility over the spygate scandal.

    Football
  • Harry Maguire left 'shocked' by England World Cup snub as Thomas Tuchel 'strongly considers' surprise call up
  • Gareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'
  • A list of players who have been left out of England's World Cup squad by the ruthless Thomas Tuchel
  • US government make decision on ICE presence at World Cup