The ten highest scoring defenders in football history have been revealed following Sergio Ramos' record breaking brace - with Ronald Koeman way ahead of the rest.
Real Madrid captain Ramos netted two in Sunday's 4-0 win over Ukraine to take his international tally to 23, the highest ever for a defender.
The 34-year-old now has 125 goals throughout his career and no other active defender can match him.
His attacking feats last season saw him end the season as Madrid's second highest scorer, behind Karim Benzema.
¡Este gol de @SergioRamos es HISTÓRICO!
:soccer: 23er tanto con España
:arrow_right: Ya es el :eight:º jugador que más goles ha marcado con la @SeFutbol
:top: Supera a Passarella y ya es el defensa con más goles como internacional en la historia del fútbol mundial#SomosEspaña :flag_es:#SomosFederación pic.twitter.com/qohg3JzaYU
- Selección Española de Fútbol (@SeFutbol) September 6, 2020
However, current Barcelona manager Koeman tops the rankings with 253 goals during his heyday in the 80's and 90's.
One prolific season came in the 1987/88 season when he scored 26 goals for PSV Eindhoven from centre-back.
Check out the entire list per talkSPORT below:
10. Franz Beckenbauer - 109 goals
9. Roberto Carlos - 113 goals
8. Paul Breitner - 113 goals
7. Steve Bruce - 113 goals
6. Sergio Ramos - 125 goals
5. Graham Alexander - 130 goals
4. Laurent Blanc - 153 goals
3. Fernando Hierro - 163 goals
2. Daniel Passarella - 175 goals
1. Ronald Koeman - 253 goals
Ramos wasn't the only Spaniard to make history last night as 17-year-old Ansu Fati became the country's youngest goalscorer.
The Barcelona starlet scored one and won a penalty which Ramos converted.
Spain manager Luis Enrique paid tribute to the youngster at full time and admitted his confidence "is not normal."
"When we choose the squad we do not look at his age," Enrique stated per Goal.
"That does not mean that we do not have to understand that Ansu Fati will play bad games and will make mistakes many times. It is part of his learning, but that self-confidence is not normal.
"Ansu Fati is very happy and has reasons. He is only 17 years old and has to mature, but that in his second game with the national team he dares to do all this...
ANSU FATI, REMEMBER THE NAME JUST 17 YEARS OLD, WHAT A GOAL pic.twitter.com/GQ22CtPCRP
- Rohit #FreeMessi (@MessiFC10i) September 6, 2020
"He brings hard work and humility. He has trained at an impressive pace and I am glad that he goes home with this joy.
"At his age it is easy for these highs to go to your head, but he is mature enough to know that the path he is following is the best. He is very calm and humble."
Featured Image Credit: PA Images
- Cristiano Ronaldo gave Sergio Ramos a warning before epic friendly
- Fans think Hakimi did a tribute to Sergio Ramos with 'waddle' celebration after Morocco beat Spain
- Sergio Ramos Once Invited Conor McGregor To Train With Him After UFC Star Showed Off His Football Skills
- Fans label Sergio Ramos a ‘finished player’ after horrendous defending against Lens