The 14 Premier League players voted for alongside Erling Haaland in FWA Footballer of the Year Award revealed
| Last updated
As expected, Manchester City's superstar striker Erling Haaland was voted as the Football Writer's Association Footballer of the Year. The only surprise was that the margin was as low as 82 per cent.
The Norwegian has enjoyed a phenomenal debut season in the Premier League with numerous records broken and defences tormented. With 35 goals in 32 league appearances this term, the 22-year-old has set a new record for the amount of goals scored in a single Premier League season.
Additionally, Haaland could end the season with three trophies to show for his and City's efforts with Pep Guardiola's side on course to lift their third consecutive league title whilst also being level on aggregate in their Champions League semi-final with Real Madrid and in the FA Cup final.
On receiving the award, the 22-year-old said: “To win the Football Writers’ Award in my first season in English football is an honour.
"I try every single day to be the best I can be, and to be recognised like this means a lot to me.
“I have loved my time at City so far – my team-mates are incredible, and they provide me with the chances to score goals. I want to thank all of them, because I could not have won this award without them.
“I also owe so much to Pep Guardiola and the team behind the team here at City. Everybody has been so good to me since I joined and I have never worked with such top professionals.
“Thank you to everyone who voted for me. It’s a real honour to have won this award. I am now focused on ensuring I finish the season as strongly as possible and helping City win trophies.”
With around 400 votes submitted, the striker's 82 per cent is the highest-ever winning margin. However, 14 other players made up the remaining 18 per cent.
Brighton's Moises Caicedo was deemed by some as Footballer of the Year as was Arsenal's Granit Xhaka. England duo Declan Rice and James Maddison were also selected despite their respective struggles fighting relegation with West Ham United and Leicester City respectively.