sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Eric Cantona slams David Beckham for taking Qatar World Cup role, calls it a 'big mistake'
Home>Football
Updated 17:20 26 Sep 2022 GMT+1Published 17:19 26 Sep 2022 GMT+1

Eric Cantona slams David Beckham for taking Qatar World Cup role, calls it a 'big mistake'

Beckham is an ambassador for this winter's tournament.

Daniel Marland

Daniel Marland

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Eric Cantona has told former Manchester United teammate David Beckham he's made a 'big, big mistake' in becoming an ambassador for the Qatar World Cup.

The ex-England international reportedly agreed a deal worth seven figures last year to become the 'face' of this winter's tournament in the Middle East.

Many have criticised Beckham for taking the deal given how controversial Qatar hosting the World Cup is. The country has been accused of using the competition to 'sportswash' their reputation.

Advert

Cantona claims he will not be watching the tournament when it starts on November 20 and shared a few harsh words on the topic.

Image
Alamy

'King Eric' went on to clarify he holds no ill will towards the players who represent their respective countries.

He told The Athletic: "I would not do it at all. I do completely the opposite. In January 2022, I started to say that. Maybe I was the first one.

"But I am free to do it. And of course, an ex-player paid to do this kind of thing… It could be they don’t know what has happened there. Or, if they know it, I think they did wrong. I think they made a big mistake. A big, big mistake.

"If you have a player who says, 'I will boycott the World Cup', you say, 'Bravo'. But you cannot condemn a 20-year-old player, who has a 10-year career, who lives in a world surrounded by people from football 24 hours per day.

Image
Alamy

"But do speak about the federations, speak about the politicians, who have the power to say, 'No, we do not go to the World Cup'. 

"We cannot be disappointed if players don’t want to boycott the World Cup, because at the top, the politicians, the presidents, the federations, the ministers… they have the power to boycott it."

Cantona and Beckham played together between 1995 and 1997, winning two Premier League titles and the FA Cup together at Old Trafford.

A spokesperson for Beckham claimed the Premier League winner has regularly visited Qatar for over a decade and believes football can be used as a 'force for good' going forward.

The World Cup will run until December 18 and the final will take place at the Lusail Stadium.

SPORTbible Stories is the brand-new podcast from the SPORT team at LADbible. The latest episode features a chat with WWE legend Triple H who opens up on his long in-ring career, his rivalry with The Rock during WWE's Attitude Era and Logan Paul's fledgling wrestling career. You can watch the episode here.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: David Beckham, Eric Cantona, Football World Cup

Daniel Marland
Daniel Marland

Daniel is SPORTbible's Senior Social Editor.

X

@DanMarland_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    What needs to happen for Liverpool to play historic '39th Premier League game'

    Liverpool take on Brentford on the final day of the Premier League season on Saturday.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    World Cup nation respond after being forced to isolate for 21 days ahead of tournament

    The country are currently not allowed to enter the United States after a decision from the White House taskforce.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    'Secret' England player joining World Cup squad is revealed after Thomas Tuchel remained tight-lipped

    Thomas Tuchel said he could not name the player in his press conference but word has got out.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Atalanta issue Ederson transfer update after Man Utd 'agreement'

    Manchester United are reportedly closing in on a Serie A transfer deal

    Football
  • Eric Cantona Calls for FIFA and UEFA to Ban Israel amid Russia Comparison
  • David and Victoria Beckham send message to Brooklyn Beckham on 27th birthday
  • Highly-rated prospect omitted from World Cup squad after his father calls 'shocked' coach to turn down call-up
  • David Beckham Tipped for Surprise Man Utd Role if They Beat Forest and Spurs