sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea target angers club after leaving without permission, a transfer is 'very close'
Home>Football
Updated 09:51 3 Jan 2023 GMTPublished 09:52 3 Jan 2023 GMT

Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea target angers club after leaving without permission, a transfer is 'very close'

Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea target Enzo Fernandez reportedly defied orders to not travel home for the New Year.

Chris Byfield

Chris Byfield

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea target Enzo Fernandez reportedly defied orders to not travel home for the New Year - a move likely to anger his parent club Benfica.

Fernandez was one of the break-out stars of the World Cup. His performances in midfield for eventual champions Argentina saw him crowned the Young Player of the Tournament and put him on the radar of Europe’s biggest clubs.

United were rumoured to be interested while Liverpool were reported to have struck a pre-contract agreement with the star last month.

However, it seems Chelsea have won the race for the 21-year-old. The MailOnline claim the Blues have reportedly made a £112million offer to Benfica for Fernandez.

Advert

The proposal is above the youngster’s £106million buy-out clause, but would reportedly be paid in three instalments of £37.3m over three years.

The move is growing ever more likely after the Argentine reportedly defied club orders not to travel home for New Year.

Enzo Fernandez defies Benfica orders

Portuguese outlet A Bola claim Fernandez risked angering Benfica by defying orders not to travel home for the New Year.

The publication alleged that the act had been viewed as an attempt by the player and his agent to force a move from the club. The star is now said to be “increasingly unlikely” to remain at the Benfica, with Chelsea in hot pursuit.

Fernandez's manager Uriel Perez posted photos of the midfielder celebrating New Year’s Eve in Buenos Aires.

Perez wrote on Instagram: “How beautiful to say goodbye to 2022 and start 2023 in this way. Happy New Year everyone and stay positive from now on.”

Benfica fans responded angrily to the post, with the comments now having been turned off.

Roger Schmidt on Benfica rules

Fernandez returned to Benfica following the World Cup, with the player reportedly having been convinced to play in their 3-0 defeat to Braga on Friday night.

However, Benfica head coach Roger Schmidt claimed after the match the midfielder may have played his final game for the Eagles.

Moreover, when Schmidt was asked whether Fernandez would have permission to return to Argentina to celebrate the New Year, he insisted his squad would stay in Portugal to rest between matches.

The Benfica boss said via the MailOnline: “We are a professional football team, the rules are for all players.

“It is very important for all players to rest between games, to be ready for the next game. There are no exceptions to that.”

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Football, Benfica, Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester United, Enzo Fernandez, Transfers

Chris Byfield
Chris Byfield

Sport journalist with experience writing on football, rugby, boxing and the Olympics. I'm also a Crystal Palace fan. Please don't hold this against me.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

7 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    7 mins ago

    Spain rocked by fresh World Cup injury worry involving key star as Lamine Yamal set to miss opener

    Yet another selection headache for Luis de la Fuente ahead of the announcement of his 26-man squad on May 25.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Champions League matches could soon be broadcast for FREE with talks 'very close to being finalised'

    The biggest competition in club football could soon be shown for free.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Celtic could be handed points deduction for next season as former official gives his take on situation

    A large number of Celtic fans invaded the pitch during their final game of the season against Hearts.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    European club 'refuse' to meet asking price for £34 million Arsenal star who hasn't played for the club for 755 days

    The player has not played for the Gunners since the 2023/24 campaign.

    Football
  • Man Utd close to signing deal that's 'biggest of its kind' in landmark moment
  • Man Utd transfer wishlist emerges as club target four players ahead of Premier League return
  • Chelsea announce four players are leaving the club with 'five others placed on transfer list' in ruthless cull
  • Garnacho Replacement Blow for Man Utd After Target Rejects Transfer Move