sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Gareth Southgate calls up 16-year-old Man City player to train with England first team
Home>Football>England
Published 14:44 20 Mar 2024 GMT

Gareth Southgate calls up 16-year-old Man City player to train with England first team

A special moment for the Man City youngster.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Gareth Southgate has called up a 16-year-old Manchester City player to train with the England senior squad ahead of their friendly against Brazil on Saturday.

Southgate named an initial 25-man squad for friendlies against Brazil and Belgium, which take place during the current international break.

That contingent was then increased to 26 on Tuesday, when Manchester United star Kobbie Mainoo was added to the squad as a late call-up.

It is quite common for Southgate to call up members of England's under-21 squads to top up his available players in training sessions, while Tottenham and England U20 midfielder Alfie Devine spent time with the squad in September.

Advert

It is a much rarer sight, though, to see the England boss take players from the lower age groups - but that is exactly what he has done on this occasion.

Southgate has decided to 'promote' City defender Kian Noble to the senior squad after he was named in Greg Noble's U17 squad for their U17 Euro qualifiers againat Northern Ireland, Hungary and France.

The Northern Ireland fixture kicks off on Wednesday afternoon at 3pm, but Noble is unavailable for selection due to suspension.

As a result, the decision was taken to have the young defender train with the senior squad instead.

BBC Sport reporter Alex Howell has said that Jordan Henderson, Harry Kane, Cole Palmer and Bukayo Saka are all doing individual programmes indoors at St George's Park today - which perhaps necessitated the need for extra players to join up with the squad.

Noble has been a key player in City's U18 squad this season, and his profile on the club's official website describes the Yorkshire-born centre-back as a 'strong figure in City's defence' who is also 'confident when carrying the ball out from the back with his excellent range of passing'.

The 17-year-old has also made three appearances for City's U21 side this season, and played 90 minutes as the U18s thrashed rivals Manchester United 4-1 at the Academy Stadium earlier this month.

Featured Image Credit: Getty / England

Topics: Gareth Southgate, England, Football, Manchester City

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

4 hours ago
5 hours ago
7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Carlo Ancelotti announces 26-man Brazil World Cup squad as Neymar call made

    Brazil take on Morocco in their opening group match on June 13.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola to leave Manchester City after final game against Aston Villa as successor named

    Guardiola is expected to leave City after 10 seasons in charge.

    Football
  • Getty
    7 hours ago

    Croatia announce 26-man World Cup squad as decisions made on Modric and Gvardiol

    The European nation begin their tournament against England on June 17.

    Football
  • Getty
    8 hours ago

    Jamie Carragher reignites Mo Salah feud branding Liverpool man selfish live on MNF

    Salah demanded a return to 'heavy metal football' in an apparent parting swipe at Arne Slot

    Football
  • Gareth Southgate Takes New Job in First Role Since Quitting England
  • Gareth Southgate 'accepts new job' in first role since leaving England
  • Gareth Southgate rejected for national team job as FA chief explains why they turned down former England manager
  • Gareth Southgate has applied for surprise managerial job with two conditions set for ex-England boss to take role