To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
| Last updated
The five time Ballon d’Or was spotted commenting with a series of the crying laughter emoji under a post on Instagram that showed Atletico fans’ reponse to reports linking the Portuguese mega star with a move to the Wanda Metropolitano.
Since Ronaldo shocked Manchester United to the core with a transfer request last month, a range of different clubs across the continent have been linked with a move for the 37-year-old, with the latest being Atletico.
Cristiano Ronaldo's response to a post on Instagram displaying the Atletico Madrid fans' "CR7 NOT WELCOME" banner: pic.twitter.com/9FbuLB20XF— Utd District (@UtdDistrict) July 29, 2022
However, since the news broke, the club’s fans have been far from happy with the prospect of Ronaldo playing for their club.
A statement by fan group Union Internacional de Penas del Atletico Madrid was released before their pre season game against Numancia.
It said: “Given the possibility that the signing of Cristiano Ronaldo is more than just a rumour we express our absolute rejection of any hypothetical incorporation into our club.
“The aforementioned player represents the antithesis of the values that are the hallmarks of our Atleti, such as effort, generosity, simplicity and humility.
“Even in the unlikely event that a player in decline such as Cristiano Ronaldo could secure a title; we would not accept his signing.
“The sense of belonging to our Atletico is not something that is within his reach, to his misfortune, so he could never achieve our affection or recognition.
“Therefore, we ask the club to reject his possible signing, if he has ever been considered.”
Earlier in the month, it was reported that the United legend was Diego Simeone’s number one target in the transfer window.
Club president, Enrique Cerezo has since come out to rule out a move for the former Real Madrid player.
He told Spanish news outlet, El Partidazo de COPE: “I don’t know who invented this story about Cristiano Ronaldo to Atletico Madrid. It’s definitely not true. It’s practically impossible for him to come to Atletico Madrid.
“Rumours are rumours and they have to stay as rumours. If you keep on fuelling the rumours then eventually it will look like it's something real, which it's not.”
Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo: “I don’t know who invented this story about Cristiano Ronaldo to Atletico Madrid. It’s definitely not true”. 🚨⚪️🔴 #Atleti— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) July 26, 2022
“It’s practically impossible for him to come to Atletico de Madrid”, tells @partidazocope. pic.twitter.com/gYJLPek4pC
In addition to his reply to the Atletico fans, Ronaldo has also commented on a post providing an update on his situation. He commented: “Impossible not to talk about me one day. Otherwise the press makes no money. You know that if you don’t lie you can’t get people’s attention. Keep going that one day you got some news right.”
Cristiano Ronaldo's comment on Instagram was in response to this post: pic.twitter.com/qV21EVa9Ui— Utd District (@UtdDistrict) July 29, 2022
Read into that all you will but one thing is for sure, only Ronaldo knows what his future holds. Will he still be at United when the new season gets underway? Only time will tell.
Featured Image Credit: Alamy/Twitter
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read