Bruno Fernandes finally opens up on 'frosty' dressing room incident with Cristiano Ronaldo
| Last updated
Bruno Fernandes was asked about his so-called 'frosty' dressing room encounter with Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of Portugal's World Cup opener against Ghana, and he says it's not what it looks like.
Ronaldo's two-part interview with Piers Morgan has become one of the most talked about moments of the year so far.
The 37-year-old has discussed a range of different topics, including his fractured relationship with manager Erik ten Hag, who 'provoked' him to walk out of Old Trafford during their Premier League clash against Tottenham.
He also spoke about Wayne Rooney, former interim boss Ralf Rangnick and Gary Neville, as well as the three first-team players who are "top professionals" at Manchester United.
Earlier this week, as the interview continued to split opinion, many fans suggested there was tension between Ronaldo and United teammate Bruno Fernandes when they greeted each other in the Portugal dressing room.
CNN shared footage of Fernandes entering the room before bumping into Ronaldo, who was already getting changed.
The midfielder put his hand on Ronaldo's arm and the five-time Ballon d'Or winner extending his other for a very brief handshake.
After a blank look from his teammate, Fernandes made his way to the opposite side of the room and of course, people started talking.
Portugal teammate Joao Mario tried to play down the incident, saying: "I was in the locker room at that moment, I saw pictures. It was a joke between them because Bruno was one of the last to arrive and Cristiano asked if he had come by boat. It was a joke between them, they play together."
But now, days after the 'frosty' encounter, Bruno Fernandes has finally responded to the moment.
Speaking on Thursday night after Portugal's 4-0 win against Nigeria in their final World Cup warm up game, he said: "They put the sound [on the TV] after. Did you hear it with the sound? In Portugal we have a problem [with that].
"I was watching on one of the channels that was talking about that, saying it was 'cold' and 'bad' for 45 minutes. All of a sudden, they went to a break and the sound came on it and said that he was joking with me.
"They came back and said there was a joke, and then cut it there. If they go back they will see that there was a problem. But if they tell the truth and explain what was in that video, people will know.
"As I said, this is the national team and Manchester United will be my focus after the World Cup, after December 18, because that is the final."
Fernandes also denies even watching any of the interview clips from Ronaldo's chat with Morgan.
"I didn't read the interview so I am OK with that," Fernandes told Sky Sports. "As I said before, now is about the national team with Portugal.
"I said to him [Ronaldo] that the coach made a point that it is 'us'. He has made that point since I came into the national team in 2017, I think, and that is still clear in his mind, that the main thing here is the national team and us. We have to be focused on the World Cup because the World Cup doesn't come around many times.
"Cristiano is lucky to play in one [a World Cup] five times. This [upcoming tournament] will be his fifth time in the World Cup, so everyone is ready for that and everyone wants to give their best for the team."
He added: "I have no problem with anyone. I do my job and, as one manager once said to me, everything that you can control is yourself.
"I think everyone thinks the same way. You have to control yourself, give your best and let's see."