BT Sport to axe popular Saturday afternoon results show 'Score' at the end of the season
| Last updated
BT Sport will scrap its Saturday afternoon results show Score at the end of the season, according to reports.
Featuring the likes of Robbie Savage, Chris Sutton, Glenn Hoddle and Karen Carney, to name just a few, Score has risen in popularity since BT Sport decided to go head-to-head with Soccer Saturday in August 2016.
But it appears those pundits and presenters, including Jules Breach and Darrell Curri, are facing the chop amid huge new changes that will be begin later this year.
Back in September last year, BT announced a merger with Eurosport after Warner Brothers Discovery struck a £650 million deal.
That means from July 2023 onwards, TNT Sports will 'continue the spirit' of what BT Sport has built over the past decade.
But they are reportedly planning a major revamp to the entire operation, including the departure of BT Sport Score – a show that has provided live updates of Premier League games and beyond for seven years.
A spokesman for Warner Bros Discovery Sports told The Sun: “Editorial reviews are undertaken as a matter of course in preparation for every new season.
“For next season, this includes considering the programming that will continue, as the channel becomes TNT Sports, and as part of the line-up supporting the same live sport fans enjoy on BT Sport today.
“As part of this process, we have confirmed to staff that BT Sport Score will not be continuing next season.”
A source also said: “It was very awkward on set because the on-screen presenters were aware that Score has been kicked into touch next season.
“Everyone is in shock because Score has held its own and established itself against rival Saturday afternoon broadcasts on Sky Sports and BBC One.”
It is believed the show attracts a viewership of over one million fans per week.
The news about BT Sport Score comes just weeks after it was confirmed that much-loved Sky Sports show Soccer AM would be axed at the end of the campaign.
Jimmy Bullard and John Fendley, who current host the 90-minute Saturday morning programme, were told with other staff members in March about the news.
A spokesperson for Sky said: “Soccer AM has played an important role in our coverage of football for the past three decades, and we continually adapt to the evolving needs of our customers.
"We now go into a period of consultation to discuss the proposed changes with our people. We are unable to provide more detail while these consultations are underway.”
With just a handful of episodes remaining of this season's show, reports suggest Fendley and Bullard had been left "fuming" at the announcement.