sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Liverpool fans haven't forgot about Bernardo Silva's 2020 guard of honour snub
Home>Football
Updated 15:05 17 Oct 2022 GMT+1Published 14:57 17 Oct 2022 GMT+1

Liverpool fans haven't forgot about Bernardo Silva's 2020 guard of honour snub

Bernardo Silva gave a very half-hearted guard of honour for Liverpool in 2020 and there's still a rivalry there.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Bernardo Silva's beef with Liverpool fans stems from him barely offering a guard of honour when they came to the Etihad Stadium in July 2020.

The 2019/20 season had been disrupted by COVID-19 and it ended up resuming in the summer, with Liverpool closing in on the title.

Their first league triumph for 30 years was confirmed when City lost 2-1 to Chelsea, Willian scoring a late penalty after a Fernandinho deliberate handball.

The newly crowned champions travelled to play City in their next game and likely still hungover from the celebrations, were smashed 4-0.

Advert

But it was the events prior to the game that caused outrage amongst Reds supporters.

Silva, who was a substitute for the clash, did not appear to follow his teammates in clapping Jurgen Klopp's side.

Instead, he looked disinterested and sipped his drink before heading back to the subs bench in a hurry.

City fans liked his actions but Liverpool supporters definitely didn't. A month later and after City were knocked out of the Champions League by Lyon at the quarter-final stage, Liverpool fans bombarded him with tweets.

In response, Silva branded the supporters "pathetic" and told them to "read a book".

He tweeted: "And to all Liverpool fans that have nothing else to do than to come to a Man City player account, I'm also sorry for you but for the wrong reasons...pathetic... go celebrate your titles, or try to find a partner, drink a beer with a friend, read a book... so many options!"

But with the tweets still coming in, a day later he wrote: "I guess reading a book was a bit too much for you," he said. "Maybe just go for a brew."

On Sunday, Silva was involved in a clash with matchwinner Mo Salah, the two tussling before squaring up to one another.

Image: Alamy
Image: Alamy

It was at this point where Klopp fumed at Anthony Taylor's decision to not award a free-kick and received a red card for his antics.

Silva slammed the referee in his post-match interview, taking issue with the lack of consistency after Phil Foden had a goal ruled out through VAR as Erling Haaland was deemed to have fouled Fabinho in the build-up.

Liverpool fans mocked the Portugal international by adding the crying filter to his interview, which quickly went viral.

Featured Image Credit: Image: Virgil van Dijk & Twitter

Topics: Liverpool, Bernardo Silva, Manchester City, Premier League

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

8 hours ago
9 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Final Champions League spot could be decided by play-off as unthinkable scenario unfolds

    This has never happened before, but it's genuinely possible with a game left to play in the Premier League.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Declan Rice has the coldest response to Arsenal’s first Premier League title win in 22 years

    Arsenal are the 2026 Premier League champions and Rice made sure to celebrate.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    'I've studied Pep for a while' - Micah Richards reacts to Pep Guardiola's response to exit rumours

    Richards also said Manchester City's players went against the club's ethos as they surrendered the Premier League title to Arsenal.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    9 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola responds to rumours he will leave Manchester City after Premier League title loss

    The Manchester City boss has finally broken his silence on the rumours.

    Football
  • Bernardo Silva doesn't hold back as he picks apart Arsenal's season in no-nonsense interview
  • Bernardo Silva labelled 'salty' after comments following Man City's draw
  • Liverpool fans say Florian Wirtz is already a legend after footage emerges of moment with Bernardo Silva and Bruno Fernandes
  • Bernardo Silva Says Eric Dier Is 'Known for Diving' While Stood Next to Him